Sign in to follow this  
V33DUB

No bass from the front...

Hi!

I have Infinity reference 6012i speakers in standard door pods and the rest of the system is standard.

To be honest its nearly fine for what I want but if I cut off the rear speakers there is absolutely no bass from the front. I know the standard door pods aren't brilliant but no bass at all? I've checked all the settings on my old DEH-6Something-Dolphin-Dancing Pioneer head unit and everything is as it should be. Any ideas? Will an amp sort this?

I'm not looking for much at all really, just some bass would be good. And also would it be worth upgrading the dash speakers at all for a bit more clarity?

I may be talking complete @rse but I thought Corrados had a basic crossover for the fronts? Remove that for the pods and you'll get bass.

I may be talking complete @rse but I thought Corrados had a basic crossover for the fronts? Remove that for the pods and you'll get bass.

Yeah the "crossover" is part of the tweeter assembly in the dash housings, i think its just some kind of resistor though, pretty basic.

it's a capacitor... strips off the low frequencies for the tweeters... ;)

exactly - so if you are connecting your door pods by tapping into connection at the dash speaker (after the capacitor) you will get no bass to your full range speaker.

even if that is what you have done you wont ever get lots of bass from the standard enlosures because they are a bit pants. e.g. don't provide a sturdy baffle and air can leak both sides of the cone.

No, the speaker wires going into the door from the tweeters are full range signal, the loom goes from the HU to the tweets, then from the tweets to the door speakers, the LF rolloff capacitor is only on the tweeter itself. As already said though, the standard pods are bobbins, it's very difficult to get a good mounting for aftermarket speakers. Check that the door speakers are all the way home on the mounting pegs, so that there's at least an attempt at sealing the enclosure. If there's a big gap (like there was in my VR when I got her) you won't get any bass. Audioscapes or DIY pods are the only way to get really good midbass up front though.

Also - check your midbasses are in phase, i.e. + and - are the right way round at the speaker; If one side is reversed, the midbasses will cancel each other out and reduce the bass - if each side sounds ok, but there's no bass when they're both on, that could be it. Also check the same thing at the crossover end (just realised you're running aftermarket speakers.)