Sign in to follow this  
NewbridgeJob

Power Steering Pump Leak

Right i discovered a leak from my PAS Steering pump... Its started to wind a bit when going slow and turning now i checked the levels in the PAS resevoir but somehow its practically full to the top? This was with the engine off so do you think that maybe theres a blockage somewhere thats forcing it to leak? The pump has leaked everyday for about 2 weeks now but like i said the fluid is still right to the top.

Just some advice please to sort this out before i buy a new pump. Any way of checking?

Its a 1993 16V by the way

CHeers

Hi mate. If the reservoir is full and there is no fluctuation in fluid level, then your pas system is not leaking. Otherwise, it's got an aftermarket mini top up feed system located in a hiding place that you can't see.... that's the only other logical explanation. That will most likely have a finite supply as well though lol.

Alternatively, You could have both feed and return lines blocked, causing the tank to remain at the same level. Unlikely though.

Maybe too obvious but have you checked the belt? May be worn or needing tightened up.

if the pressure relief valve in the pump sticks then the pump will try to supply full pressure to the rack all the time instead of only when turning, the pump will be loud all the time and either the pump or one of the hoses/unions will then leak

of course it may be that your pump is simly shot and leaking from the drive shaft etc.

Maybe too obvious but have you checked the belt? May be worn or needing tightened up.

Belt seems fine to me but cant help to have a look i guess.

I cant see an obviously location of the leak it just seems to be coming from all around the pump and formulates drips on the bottom- After 24 hours it'll leave a beer mat sized puddle

Ill try and take some pictures and post them

Not being rude, but are you sure its the power steering pump? I had a mk3 in last week that was leaking from the water pump, and the hot water was dribbling down the power steering pump and washing the muck off to leave an oily patch on the floor! Took a while to track that one down :brickwall:

im pretty sure- And its deffo oil thats leaking- i've checked all around it and above it and its not being leaked on it appears to be coming from within, Plus the steering is making a noise

Right a few pictures here- It looks like its just coming from the PAS pump but cannot see exactly where from- Its just saturated on the bottom half- Belt looks ok to me but im not exactly an expert

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Would it be easier to just fit a new pump? someones got one on here for £25 which ive agreed to buy

There's to much oil there to make much of a diagnosis. I would suggest cleaning it all off as best you can then run the engine and get someone to run the steering from lock to lock and see what occurs. Powdering the area with talc sometimes makes the leak easier to trace.

On closer inspection of the pictures your pulley looks to have been deformed a bit. This could cuse some wierd loadings on the pump bearings and seals cusing a leak. Just a thought.

Yeah good idea

I've already cleaned it all off once to try and sort the leak but i'll try that talc trick tomorrow maybe.

Do you think it maybe worth removing it to have a closed inspection and putting it bacK?

Could be. Try loosening or removing the drive belt first and give the pulley a good shaking about to see if you can feel any play or movement in it. Try to get the pump and the area around it as dry and oil free as possible.

Wullie