Sign in to follow this  
Nic

A few VR6 with Schrick questions

So for those of you that remember, i bought this car - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT it was of course advertised on here originally for a platry £500, i paid a fair bit more once he realised what it was worth, still a bargin though.

Anyway, good news, it passed the mot with a couple of advisorys and there's nothing wrong with the head gasket. Looking through the service history, the schrick along with the leads was fitted in 2004, tried taking the schrick off today and the bolts felt like they'd never been removed before, really difficult to crack and almost rounded a couple off.

So first question - where can i get more bolts from, thinking about just taking the old ones down screwfix and finding replacements.

Second question - the inlet manifold gasket, is it unique to the schrick or is it the same as on any VR6? It's pictured on top of the battery in the picture below -

31007_10150164629385061_679660060_12232671_7319956_n.jpg

There's also a misfire, gets gradually worse once the car warms up, checked the plugs and they look like they haven't been changed since the schrick was fitted, roughly 80,000 miles! Obviously going to change them and the leads at the same time which moves me on to my next question, does anyone have the part numbers for the leads, tried to order them from TPS yesterday and the guy on the phone said there were lots of different part numbers for leads for a VR6. Ideally want the genuine red HT leads.

Hopefully that'll sort most of the misfire out, after that it can only be the coilpack or lambda sensor i guess? I've only got a vagcom a like fault code reader for OBD 2 cars so can't check that way.

There's also a water leak from the thermostat houing area, i'm intending to check this once i've got a bit more time to strip the car down further, i'll be changing the thermostat at the same time but wanted to know about the yellow, blue and black plugs, what do they do? The fan also comes on as soon as the ignition is turned on, engine not started, from cold, it comes on full speed with both fans. Stays on full speed even if the engine is started. Where should i start diagnosing problems with the fan, electrics are not my strong point so help appriciated!

Thanks for reading quite a long post,

Nic

I am pretty sure the gasket between the two bits of the Shrick as unique to that, I know a mate was given a template of the gasket when he bought a manifold.

You can buy Schrick bits from Vince at Stealth, I bought a complete set of gaskets for mine plus a new actuator a few years ago.

No idea how much the bits were though but be warned, they're not cheap! I'm on the look out for a new inlet elbow for mine when I finally get around to bolting on the OBD II bits and was quoted around £450 for it over two years ago :shock:

Cheers for the help so far, i'll give Vince a call on Tuesday. Is it worth going to OBD II? I have a spare OBD II schrick that i could use on this.

My current gasket is fortunately in ok condition so i could use that to make up another i guess, could help a few others out possibly.

Any ideas with the fan?

Cheers, seeing as i've got to take the thermostat housing off i might as well change all the switches in that. The fact that the stage 3 fans are on with only the ignition switched on without even the engine being started suggest (to me at least) thats its the fan controller box which might be at fault? Anyone agree?