Sign in to follow this  
PaulMoVR6

Sticky Front N/S Brake Caliper

Ok i am after a bit of advice i have been driveing the car more frequently in the last couple of days and noticed that i have a problem with my front caliper. Once the car has been driven for a few miles the caliper starts to stick. It can lead to a violent wheel wabble once i go over 40mph. Once i stop you can hear the pads fizzileing away. I have replaced the disks and pads less than 500 miles ago but the car has been sat recently for the last 6 weeks could this have anything to do with it?

I striped the caliper today to see if i could see anything wrong with it but couldnt see anything wrong so put it all back together but the caliper still sticks?

Is my caliper goosed?

Paul

When you stripped the caliper, did you clear out ant rust/dudt/grime from where the pads locate ? Often an area that just seemes to gunge-up, and needs to be clean for the pads to move ok. And how about the piston in its housing ? Is it free to move in/out ?

Mine were binding more after the car sat around through this winter. A previous MOT mentioned it, too, as an advisory.

I have had all calipers replaced. They were the original 15-year old ones. Expensive, but you cant expect them to go on forever.

You will be warping your new discs with the scorching heat and fuel consumption suffers, too.

Peugeot 205 we had for 19-years had the problem regularly. Garage cleaned them up well each time but the problem kept returning.

You may have to keep fixing them yourself (life is short!) or pay someone to do it. If you can afford it and they are the originals I would replace them.

thanks for the replys guys,

Yeah i gave the whole area a good clean where the pads sit, I did suspect the piston could be the reason but it seems ok, iam going to take it apart again tomorrow and try give it another clean to see if that helps, if not ill get a new caliper, it just seems to be on the one side its sticking though?

Paul

A good tip to see how your brakes, bearings etc. are behaving is to carefully touch the wheels or discs after you get out after a journey of any length. The brake(s) or whatever that is/are behaving badly will be much hotter than the others. Sometimes you can detect a smell like horsesh!t :) either coming in the car or when you are standing near one with burning brake pads or linings. After decades of sniffin' I can tell the smell immediately! :cuckoo:

Yeah i know the smell you mean exactly, the thing is though if you don't drive the car fast its fine, theres no smell of burning or fizzeling pads, but i think i might just put a new caliper on to save any hassle

Check your brake flexi hose on the sticky caliper side, Ive had this problem before & on 1st inspection wrongly assumed it was the caliper, in the end I found the flexi hose had collapsed inside hence not allowing the piston in the caliper to draw back as it should when you take your foot off the pedal

Also check the guides, remove/clean and re lube if necessary. Sometimes if the seals deteriorate then dirt can get in and eventually stiffen up their movement.