Sign in to follow this  
Josh Waddi

Accelerator Cable

Hello, my next jobby is to change the cable, but before doing this i wanted to see if there is anything i need to replace whilst im there? any sort of springs, bushes, pedal? Just wouldnt like to chage it and then have to go back and do any niggly bits.

Thaks for looking.

I think there's a rubber bush on the end of the pedal lever, might just want to see if that looks OK, but there shouldn't be anything else,

a new cable makes driving so much nicer :)

Im in the process of doing this. VW sell these for;

Cable ?31ish

Bush ?1.50ish

(i dont have the receipt here :lol: )

I have a brand new one that I dont need anymore, bought it for my old valver, has the rubber bung on already

£20 posted if you want it?

Sounds like a deal to me. do you want to PM me on where you would like the money to be sent. i would prefer bank transfer as its more accesable for me. PP is OK too but might not be able to send it straight away.

Whilst the cable is on its way, was thinking about how to change it. Is it easy enough or do i need some special tools/ways to change it. or just simply old one out new one in.

Cheers

pretty easy, just you need to stand on your head to get under the dash

Cheers matey, was hoping for a simple job. one last one for you. does the actual pedal deteriorate or need replacing overtime or it is just a lump of metal to throw your right boot at?

Lump of metal :lol: You just need to change the bush which the end of the new cable hooks into. You may need a little fairy liquid for the rubber bush, as it's a tight fit. It's really easy, just remove the old one, swap in the new, through the bulkhead (press in the new grommet which comes already on the cable), across the scuttle and down behind the clocks to the pedal. You'll have to remove the driver's undertray to get to the pedal properly. Just look where the old one is routed and all will become clear. You may need to re-use a couple of the clips (one attaches the end to the TB, the other is used to adjust the cable) if you haven't ordered new ones. Should take around 30 mins :)

Cheers for the advice peeps.

managed to change it yesterday in bout 20 mins, was pretty simple. made a massive difference too, doesnt even feel like im putting half has much pressure as i used to.

Cheers for the advice peeps.

managed to change it yesterday in bout 20 mins, was pretty simple. made a massive difference too, doesnt even feel like im putting half has much pressure as i used to.

told ya it would be nice :) - old cables gradually get worse so you don't notice them getting bad, it's the 180 degree bend over the exhaust manifold that does for them!

Question about these. I brought two from the stealers the other day. I have them and they both have a sensor that some cables plug into. The one currently on my car and my bro's 16v does not have this sensor. Im guessing they have given us the wrong one. :confused4:

Question about these. I brought two from the stealers the other day. I have them and they both have a sensor that some cables plug into. The one currently on my car and my bro's 16v does not have this sensor. Im guessing they have given us the wrong one. :confused4:

Hi Mate, id bought mine of another member and it was exactly the same as the one that came off, it didnt have any sensors wires for it. So im presuming its not correct. :scratch: