Sign in to follow this  
ukscotth

Replacing VR6 Fuel Pump

Hi,

Ive got a new fuel pump to put in my car and I was wandering if its an easy job and if I should do it myself ?

Anyone done this before ? anything I should look out for when doing it ?

Thanks,

Scott.

Havn't done one on my VR6 but on the valver they have a pain in the arse screw top thing thats a bit of a nightmare to unscrew, like a really big jar top with fins on the outside edge. maybe worth having a look around see if theres a proper tool for it as the only other option (that i thought of) is a flathead screw driver and a hammer on the plastic fins around the outside which can damage it.

As above getting the plastic screw cover off is the hardest part as there very tight, hammer and a screw driver is the only way to go. Getting the fuel lines off the top is a pain too (probably easier to cut them off). Remove the pump itself is easy, just push down and twist out, swap the level sender over, and then fit new one.

i have done this on my car. It can be fiddly and you will get petrol on your hands unless the tank is really drained.

In all honesty though, as long as you can get the plastic black cap off (go gently with the hammer and screwdriver) then you just need to take off the hose clips and remember where everything went. The pump itself "screws" to the bottom of the tank which can also be a little hard removing and then replacing...

Take some photos as you remove pipes and clips so you know their orientation when putting everything back together. Mine took me just over an hour to sort out from start to finish.

good luck!

Thanks peeps, ive managed to get it off, now all i need to do is buy some little jubilee clips and get the new one back on, fingers crossed.