n3p

16v Oil leak from breather

Hi guys (or davidwort :norty:)

I noticed i've been losing oil, traced it to the breather unit (which is brand new). I've checked inside the air box and it's clean, although the hose going to it is a bit manky on the breather side. Anyone know what could be causing this and what I can do to resolve it? Car drives and idles normally, no smoking or anything - just smells foul when at temperature!

Cheers,

Nick

:wave:

:scratch: not really sure, if you've just replaced the breather is the gasket to the block OK? I take it you used a new gasket?

I think some 16v engines have gauze wedged up one or other of the breather pipes to help collect oil mist and they can clog/block, but I've never investigated exactly where it is (if at all).

Bit to go on anyway.

Ah, present as always! You know i have to keep you on your toes david :norty:

I did indeed use a new gasket, I can try to have a squeeze of the breather pipes tomorrow to see if i can feel some kind of gauze. Just had a thought though - should the breather pipe (going to the airbox) have a jubilee clip around it? (breather end). Mine never has (even on the old KR block), and it does seem like it is seeping..although i never had the problem before (KR breather is metal, 9A is plastic - possible slightly different hose fitment?)

I've had enough of shelling out for premium oil only for it to go to waste, i'm reduced to buying Tesco Oil in the meantime until i get it sorted :lol:

Cheers

I'm using the KR hoses on the 9A breather, no jubilee clips, don't think most of the breather system ever had clips, I think it was all originally just push fit, but lots of people seem to have fitted them themselves, looking under other's bonnets. I'll check ETKA at some point.

Hopefully it is just an old hose and not a problem with the engine blowing oil out of the crankcase (piston rings?)

- but I don't mean to scare-monger, if that was the case I'm sure it would have been blowing up into the airbox loads

Let's hope it is an old hose! From what I can see there's just the main hose which goes to the air box, and a little hose joined onto it which goes somewhere towards the dizzy/upper mani? A while back an idiot friend (read: not me) overfilled my oil causing it to reach up to the airbox. Could this have caused some perma-damage? After i had cleaned it up it seemed fine (after letting it all burn out), and it has done about 500 miles since.

Makes me wonder why people put jubilee clips around their breather hoses - hopefully it's a common problem, so i can sleep easier at night :nuts:

.. overfilled my oil causing it to reach up to the airbox. Could this have caused some perma-damage? ...

unlikely,

it'll ruin a cat on a cat equipped car, but should really just make a mess on yours, could blow out of seals everywhere if totally overdone and then driven hard, but you'd soon see that!

Edit: tell a lie, ETKA does show a jubilee clip on there

Edit: tell a lie, ETKA does show a jubilee clip on there

:luvlove: Guess that and gauze/split-hunting will be the first port of call. Will keep you updated :salute:

Hm, couldn;t find any splits in the hoses, and they don't seem to be clogged up. I bought some jubilee clips and it seems to have helped a little bit, but there is still a leak :scratch: . I noticed that oil is collecting on the bottom left bolt of the breather (where the arm goes across), it might be leaking from there although it's hard to imagine so as the gasket is new...maybe it slipped when i fitted it, i guess i'll buy a new one and go from there. Would loctite or any instant gasket be useful on this part?

second hand, any post 1992 4 cylinder 16v really, so that's a passat, golf mk3 16v, 16v SEAT's too.

the 8v part is a slightly different part number, not sure why, will check later as I have both engines and the blocks are basically identical, I reckon your should be able to use an 8v one too which would make sourcing one a lot easier.