Sign in to follow this  
stevej

chain pain - thoughts please

some thoughts please.

My VR has done 149,000. I bought it ~ 18 months ago. I'd wanted a VR raddo for years and am happy with this one, gradually replacing /refurbing bits over time. Its a project car not a daily. Anyway its a bit tappety when cold which pretty much goes after a few mins, doesn't sound too 'chainy'. From the history it had the head off at 129K had valve stem seals done & upper chain guides deifnatley done and i pressuming the tensioner was done to but chains were not. it drives well and doesnt seem to use much oil, but to fair it didnt see much driving last year so i cant really be sure if it is or not. I guess i got to wondering about getting the chains etc checked and replaced if ness / clutch replaced etc, but although i a no mechanic, i reckon there will be other internal wear as well given the mileage & to be fair they may have looked ? ok when the other work was done. I feel that doing the chains etc may be in some respects a bit of 'faulse economy' as i would be worried that having spent all that cash, the bottom could go a bit later on ? Anyway given my feelings i would rather just keep up with its servicing and when / if i defo get lots of noise or it breaks just look at sourcing a rebuilt replacement engine. I dont do may miles a year in it & have no intention to sell it . Does this sound mad or sensible I cant quite decide :scratch:

sorry for the ramble

personally , i was like to be safe then sorry, and if the clutch needs doing anyway what the hell, depends on your circumstances and cash flow, if your keeping it, id prob wanna see if the lower guides are ok, my motor is on 200 k and i dont think its seen chains yet!! just saving up now for it to be done!!

seen as they are hydro cams ,they do tap when first started [cold] mine does and within seconds the oil is pumped to the top and its quiet .

to be honest, if the head's already been off and bits looked at then i wouldn't be that fussed about doing them.

as you say, you can always get a replacement engine if the worst happens, but in the meantime, unless the clutch needs doing then you might not need to touch it for another 50k miles. if you dont do many miles then its not a big risk i wouldnt think.