Sign in to follow this  
TimDoc

Front subframe

Got the front off the car to get some maintainence cleaning and sorting and to fit an oil cooler. Found a lot of rot on the front subframe (the bit that the rad sits on). The ends of it are almost flaking through, and the middle isnt that strong. Gonna try and source a second hand one. The front engine mount is integrated into this part. Is there any easy way of getting this off to clean it up/replace it without hoisting the engine. Can you jacj up the front of the engine?

Any experience and advice would be helpfull.

Thanks

T

i thought this when i first saw mine rusting away...

the part the rad sits on is actually seperate to the crossmember the mount sits on.

you can replace this part on its own but there are different ones for G60 VR6 etc i got a 16v one and had to trim a bit off a bit iirc

ill post a pic for you if i can find one :D

stu

can the engine be jacked up and the subframe removed without lifting the engine out completely? Just need to get the radiator mounting bit off but leave the front engine mount in situ.

T

Does the sump have enough strength to take that much weight? Also does anything else need releasing before you lift the engine off it's front mount? Guessing the removal of the front subframe is achieved by removing the bolt between the other two you undo to remove the bumper?

T

Does the sump have enough strength to take that much weight? Also does anything else need releasing before you lift the engine off it's front mount? Guessing the removal of the front subframe is achieved by removing the bolt between the other two you undo to remove the bumper?

T

yes the sump will be fine - just make sure you put some wood under it to protect it a bit.

other than that, you're pretty much there - yes it's the bolts on the middle of the bumper retaining bolts to take it off (worth ordering some new ones from VW btw - mine were buggered when i got them off).

before you drop the mount, just make sure the engine is secure and isn't going to move fr once the mount is no longer in-situ...

it's very easy, just think about it and be careful and methodical

radsupport.gif[/attachment:bk4jy63h]

there you go this should help

i have a front subframe in very good condition

£50 inc postage if anyone wants it.

KADVR6 - any chance of some pics to show condition, does the "subframe" include both the piece that the front engine mount is attached to and the piece that the rad sits on??

T