Sign in to follow this  
umonkeyz

start up problem

hi,

i wonder if anyone can help me out.

my 1995 vr6 has started to have serious starting problems. ive tried the search function but cant find the exact symptoms.

the engine turns over, but then the revs drop straight back down and it dies. if i give it some gas the revs pick up to 3-4000 then dies again. it starts eventually after about 15 attempts (embarasing in a busy petrol station!) it runs mostly fine once its going, maybe very slightly lumpy at low revs.

it did have a minor starting problem and slight lumpness at junctions when i bought it a couple of months ago, so i fitted a new ISV myself and it seemed to fix it for about a week. however now the start up problem is much worse.

from what ive read i think it may be the MAF sensor. ive also read to check the fuel pump relay, i dont know much about either of these parts so ill have to read up on them and check them out at the weekend before i give up and take it to my local indiependent.

is there anything else it could be?

thanks.

sam.

If it was me I'd change the usual 3 suspects first if you don't know their history:

ECU Relay

Fuel Pump Relay

Ignition Switch

It'll be also worth scanning with VCDS to see if any odd codes are stored which could account for the problem.

replaced the fuel and ecu relays, touch wood it seems to have fixed it! starts and idles perfectly. :)

only trouble is that in my faffing the heater matrix is buggered.. lol.

haha spoke too soon, same start problem, but only took a few attempts to start it.. hmmmm.

i may try the ingnition switch, but someon has but in a push button starter so im not sure if that will affect it. more reading, ill be a raddo nerd soon enough! lol.

Did you find the source of this problem as my 8v has started to do the same intermittently. :(