Sign in to follow this  
oli1vw

help... AAA not ABV supplied engine.. what next!

hi

bit of a rant perhaps but still, bloody annoying to say the least

bought an abv corrado engine from http://www.directenginesuk.co.uk/

installed and head went while still guaranteed

accepted head gasket and bolt kit ( bit more practice for me with the spanners ) as recompense

get head off and check pistons as cam cover had no label ( engine nbr ) and area where engine nbr is near timing chains was illegible and corroded

my engine has pistons which at the top read 81.985, new engine from direct engines reads 80.985 ( true measure of engine size ) so 2.8 not 2.9

have receipt etc and states abv engine there

problem is "was it deliberate" or an unknowing "can't tell the difference externally and did everything we reasonably could to ensure it was correct", this last bit is my concern

either way engine out and new one in, bugger

thoughts as to next step, bear in mind they are most unreasonable so far..

if it aint what it says in the tin then surely you could give them the 'sale of goods act....blah blah.....not supplied product paid for....not fit for purpose' hardball lines

yep to right. you have paid for something that is not what they say it is ,money back time me thinks .

Well... strictly speaking they have misrepresented the item under the sale of goods act and you have rights in law ultimately to pursue them. Honestly I think the question is how strongly you feel about the issue. A few considerations as I see the situation :

a) You may wish to keep pressing the seller if you believe they've conned you out of money as a result of this "error". Typically ABV engines do fetch more than AAA on the secondhand market. The question is whether you believe they've deliberately mis-sold it to you as a ABV to push the cost up,

b) Frankly an AAA is in practical terms little if any different to an ABV provided that you transfer the inlet/throttle assembly from your old ABV to the new engine. The 2.8 capacity makes little difference. Indeed I have recently put a AAA in mine (with a lot of the old parts carried over) and frankly I can't tell the difference. Neither can other Corrado VR6 owners :D

c) If the seller's attitude is giving cause for concern then confront them in a calm, factual manner, confirming your conversations in writing. Don't get aggressive or shout at them as an argument won't solve anything. Remember that you have the law on your side, and if you continue to get nowhere with them start to remind them of your legal rights - but only if you actually intend to go through with it. You can contact your local Trading Standards office for free advice on this (and they may help you with an intransigent trader) but ultimately you may have to go to small claims to enforce your rights. The good news about this is that it ultimately doesn't cost a lot of money to do (whether you think that's worth it is another matter) but the good news is that you can issue small claims summons in your own location - meaning the seller would have to travel to your court to defend the action.

d) If you did go down this route you would need to demonstrate the losses you've accrued by being supplied the wrong engine. Expect the other side to argue significantly on that point. But your target is to get your money and costs back if you get this far. I don't think you want to try and force them to take the AAA back and give you an ABV - well I wouldn't want that anyway...

In all honesty this decision comes down to how aggrieved you feel about the situation, and whether the costs & effort involved in chasing your rights are balanced well against the difference in money and originality involved. Frankly I think I would say to let the matter drop, put the 2.8 into the car, and surprise yourself how little different it is to your old ABV, whilst also doing what you've already done - warning others about the poor service of the company involved.

HTH, that's my mega "samaritan help" post written for this weekend :)

John

thanks for the posts

well i do feel aggrieved especially considering the work put into getting the engine, installing, head going and then not right engine just to top it off

i know its going to be a hassle to get any compensation from them

will have to think about where to go next, grrr

Personally unless youve paid a premium for the ABV in the first place i would stick with it,

Every ABV ive owned (3 now) have been oil burners and lift off overun smokers to varying degree's, none of the AAA's have displayed these tendancies.

In fact i had a AAA in my first Corrado VR6 and it was the sweetest and best engine ive ever had in any of them with no discernable difference in power when fitted with a ABV ecu,throttle body and intake manifold.

If what youve got is good and youve done the headgasket by all means pursue them if youve paid more for a ABV but id be inclined to keep what youve got, i will never buy another ABV lump....

ok a couple of votes for sticking with the AAA

anybody else care to offer advice on AAA v ABV

I have put all the abv ancillaries on the engine

opnions sought

thank you

Your talking something like 72cc of capacity difference, if youve swapped everything else then that will be fook all difference, your possibly talking 3-5bhp max and thats if the ABV has good bores and isnt suffering from blow by.

Seriously, if you really 'want' an ABV then get your money back, if you want an engine that seems to suffer less from the typical VR shortcomings - ie bore wear and bore ovalisation then stick with the AAA.

If you decide to stick with the AAA still cause a fuss and try to get a bit of money back.