Sign in to follow this  
TimDoc

A few questions...

Whilst I have the front end off - what else should i do??

I've got the crossmember and the rad mount off and cleaned them back to shiny metal, primed them ready for painting and will be coating them with rust-oleum and then anti-chip paint.

The crackpipe is to be replaced as the oil cooler nozzle has snapped off (whilst i was sorting a bypass pipe).

The radiator and the fan cowling have come off, been taken to pieces and the cowling de-rusted, primed and hammerite'd.

The battery tray has had all rust removed and been primed ready for some hard wearing paint - prob the anti chip stuff.

Looking at the front of the engine, its all a little rusty but not flaking - does this need anything doing??

The started motor (i think it is) looks really rusty and a pipe below it also - doe these need cleaning off or anything else doing to them.

Have got lots of time on my hands so will be working on this for the next 2 weeks.

Pics below

Appreciate any advice/suggestions

Before de-rusting

IMG_1040.jpg

IMG_1041.jpg

After..

IMG_1068.jpg

IMG_1071.jpg

The battery plate

IMG_1061.jpg

The fans

IMG_1067.jpg

The car as it stands

IMG_1060.jpg

The starter motor??

IMG_1063.jpg

id prob do gearbox oil change , while you in there, unless its already been done, makes a big diffrence to the smoothness.

be carefull with stonechip over rustoleum ...will prob cause it to crack as stonechip is usualy thinners based

Redline MT-90 is what a lot of people use on here, I've just had mine done with it and the gear changes feel a lot smoother. I think u need just over a litre so u need 2x 1litre bottles ideally. If u search for Opie oils on here, there is a deal on atm for free postage or something, have a look! Good prices, good times :wink:

EDIT: http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=92131

Sorting out the rust and found lots of little things to do.

The intake manifold vaccum sensor (i think it is) hose is a 3-4mm (internal diameter) that is a braided black rubber hose - see pic below, has frayed lots so replacing - is 4mm fuel line ok as a replacement?? - have fitted one end and its fine for fitment?

Old

IMG_1078.jpg

New

IMG_1075.jpg

These rusty bolts - guessing they hold the head onto the block i'm guessing, they look in pretty poor nick - if not doing anything down there i guess you just leave well alone?

IMG_1079.jpg

Which coolant should i use - got 3/4 of a bottle left from last time that i got from gsf that has pink fluid in it - but all the writing is in german - that may be a good thing!!??

The bottle that i have ringed in the picture - guessing that this is the powersteering fluid - whats the best and how much is needed??

IMG_1060-1-1.jpg

Appreciate all help and advice

Tim

You really got stuck in didn't you mate!

Looking forward to seeing ya next week 8)

Got any more updates / pics?