Sign in to follow this  
Fanjita

Thrust bearing squeak?

Hi all,

I've had this squeak for as long as I can remember, it does it all the time it's in gear or not with the clutch engaged. As soon as i depress the clutch pedal to disengage it, the squeak goes away.

It's not a continuous squeak just on and off a few times a second, but it's enough to be a bit annoying. I read in a members thread recently that a minor adjustment fixed a thrust bearing noise, any ideas what this adjustment could be and if it would fix this noise?

Thanks

DG Autotech looked into this. Apparently the original clutch release bearing on the Corrado came packed with grease.. and was nice and quiet. New ones have no grease in them.. and make this noise. Removing the bearing and greasing it causes the problem to go away! :)

I suffer from the same on mine.. you only have to even lightly dab the clutch and it immediately shuts up, and then as soon as you release again, you get the chirruping!

Good call, I wondered what was causing that problem. I have the same issue.

Shame the gearbox has to come off to fix it though :?

its crap that you can buy a brand new bearing from the stealers and still have the problem with this squeak - crazydave has the same problem with his vrt - it would be nearly silent otherwise!

if you've not had a clutch change done on the car, then the chances are that the old bearing is just telling you that its tired! nothing amazing to worry about, but monitor the noise - if the bearing goes then you may as well replace the clutch anyway (unless it's been done recently as i said).

i HATE it when people sit at junctions etc with their foot on the clutch, even worse holding the car on the clutch on a hill.

i changed the clutch on a friends 106 rallye ages ago now - the plates were perfect, the thrust bearing came out in literally seven different pieces! he doesn't keep his foot on the clutch anymore!

i HATE it when people sit at junctions etc with their foot on the clutch, even worse holding the car on the clutch on a hill.

i changed the clutch on a friends 106 rallye ages ago now - the plates were perfect, the thrust bearing came out in literally seven different pieces! he doesn't keep his foot on the clutch anymore!

interesting.. must er, tell a friend not to do that so much.. :wink:

its crap that you can buy a brand new bearing from the stealers and still have the problem with this squeak - crazydave has the same problem with his vrt - it would be nearly silent otherwise!

Yeah same here matey.... I replaced my Helix clutch last September and stuck a new VAG bearing in too and it's squeaked from day one.

Ha ha, I'm guilty of that :D Kind of have to really otherwise the incessant squeaking does my head in! I also find myself putting pressure on the bearing as I drive past bus queues etc due to the embarrassment! Oh well, I guess it's all helping to speed along my 02Q conversion.....

Looks like I've missed a lot! Thanks for the comments guys :clap:

Well that's not good news then, gearbox off to shut it up!

I think I might leave it for a while, can't quite justify taking the gearbox off at the moment. I think I have a new clutch too, as it had an engine replacement about 2 years ago.

Thanks again for shedding light on this though :salute: