Sign in to follow this  
sprinterVR6

Novice Question..6X9's fitting issue

bit've a silly one this, but just thought I'd see if I'm missing something.

Just installed brand new Sony headunit 4x52watts. Now looking to hook it up to some new Pioneer 6x9's on rear parcel shelf.

Will the 6x9's come with the wiring+other bits from the headunit to the speakers?

Does it need to be diff quality wire to what is probably the standard/original wiring????

Or is it simply a case of disconnecting the standard rear speakers and plugging into the new 6x9's??

Hi mate, you can use the original wiring to feed the new 6x9's but you will need to cut the factory plugs from the loom and maybe extend the cabling to reach the new positions on the shelf.

The joint you make can then be hidden behind the rear suspension turret carpet, to keep things nice and tidy.

You will need the appropriate sized female spade connectors (positive=wide connector, negative=narrow connector) to crimp onto the end of you new length of cable, in order to connect to the 6x9's too...

HTH

You will need the appropriate sized female spade connectors (positive=wide connector, negative=narrow connector) to crimp onto the end of you new length of cable, in order to connect to the 6x9's too...

HTH

doubt you'll need those - you tend to get the wires with sets of speakers so just use the last 30cm of them with the connectors on for the speakers to extend from the factory wires by the suspension turrets going to the crappy 6x4s!

Yeah you get the wiring with the speakers. But to be honest id be inclined to just get some better gold cable rather then use the thin sh!te wiring your get with speakers.

Oh and ive just got a pair of vibe 6x9s £60 and they are bl00dy good quality.. not amped either (bar the stereo amp).

Yeah you get the wiring with the speakers. But to be honest id be inclined to just get some better gold cable rather then use the thin sh!te wiring your get with speakers.

Oh and ive just got a pair of vibe 6x9s £60 and they are bl00dy good quality.. not amped either (bar the stereo amp).

the vibes really do honk for the money. i have some vibe slick 693's in mine and even just off the head unit the sound very nice and go loud if required - were only like 40 notes aswell!

the vibes really do honk for the money. i have some vibe slick 693's in mine and even just off the head unit the sound very nice and go loud if required - were only like 40 notes aswell!

They're the same ones i have chap. Got them from Halfrauds and were half on sale too. Much better then the Kenwoods that i had fitted before. Plus they done have those horrible metal spade connectors which come on many other speakers. They fatigue after a while and fall off, which happened to the Kenwoods.

6x9's get a rotten rep against folks who can afford to buy decent stereo gear but in terms of bang for buck they're pretty good. As others have said - as much as it's a bit of a crime, chop the factory plugs off the rear speakers in the parcel shelf supports and just extend them up to the 6x9's. They'll be fine.

And if you don't want your old plugs and OE parcel shelf speakers, can you drop me a PM? Would quite like a set for my red Corrado to sort out my rear speakers! :)

agree, 6x9s always frowned upon by the ICE snobs but they are the cheapest way to dramatically improve the standard system, and def worth doing if you aren't going to fit a sub as no other speaker will extend as low as a 6x9. To me these aren't a crime, nor is chopping off the factory plugs to extend the wires - what is a crime though is chopping up your rear shelf - PLEASE just go buy some MDF and make yourself a new one - 18mm mdf will do the job and the speakers will thank you for being mounted on a nice sturdy baffle...

medium density fibreboard - type of 'wood' they sell it in B&Q etc. you want 18mm at least and one of the size sheets they do is very close to what you need to do a parcel shelf, so not much waste.