Sign in to follow this  
Rams

Flipkey question

Hi all

I have purchased 2 flip keys, had the key cut and it starts the engine, then dies. I know its the factory fit immobiliser not picking up even though I have put my trasponder chip in the new flipkey fob. I only managed to start the car with it stuck to the outside in a certain position once. Even with it stuck on the blade it didnt work. So far ive spend £30 on 2 new keys and £6 for 2 new AH keys for the flip fob.

I' ve searched the forum and still at logger heads as to what to do. I have a Cobra CAT 1 alarm and immobiliser, and then factory fit vw immobiliser. I see there are people that have done the mod and can open/lock with the vw flipkey buttons but buying a kit from Right Click? Or at best, can you just get the car to lock and unlock, boot release but not activate or deactivate the alarm?

Im guessing if you armed/locked the car with the alarm remote and then unlocked the car with the new flip key, open the door, the alarm should sound? Or does this kit do it all for you?

Any help is really appreciated, Ive been reading and calling people trying to solve it and cant qite make out a definitve, this is what you need to do mod if you have an remote alarm system.

you might be able to move the transponder reader coil out a little so its closer to the key chip or maybe the reader coil has started to break down and might need replacing, have you tried turning the chip around as it may read better on one side?

Hi,

I tried the chip in different positions, the car would only stay running when the chip was just stuck to the outside case near the key, but then wouldnt work when it was on the blade itself or in the casing. As soon as I put it back in the original key where it has its own slot, it was fine.

Rams

you might just have to put the imobiliser chip under the steering cowling next to the reader coil and just rely on the cobra imobiliser instead.

I might just have to do that. I was concerned that if the chip fell or something, I could be driving along and the car would turn off?

Cheers

Rams

note to position and orientation of the chip in the oe key replicate its position in the flip key and it should be fine, thats what i did with mine - the oe key has a slot for the chip anyway.