Sign in to follow this  
jimmyvwjunkie

is it legal to remove foglights? and other parts?

hey guys was wondering if i removed the foglights from my corrado would it pass m.o.t???? and also what other parts on the car can u remove to simplify the body and smooth parts off. whilst being still m.o.t passable??

I'm certain front foglights aren't required for the Mot, you don't need a passenger side wing mirror either i'm sure.Seen people relocate the indicators into the headlights but Lights wise that about all you can remove. Technically the Front number plate needs to be in front of the wheels so that needs to be there for the Mot. handles you can de-lock or change, you can smooth the rear boot lock but thats about it isn't it?

how can u relocate the indicators to the headlights ? is it as simple as it sounds ?

done this mod in a couple of cars.

1st mod is to remove the side light circuit and wire indicator onto side light bulb ( change bulb to orange ) in the later vw's you still get the half power headlights that you could 'claim' to be side lights.

2nd mod is to carefully drill into the headlamp bowl and fit a bulb holder into the new hole with indicator lamp.

if u wired the indicator into the side light bulb would it still flash like an indicator ? and dont you need side lights to pass an m.o.t ?

Yes if you simply use the sidelight bulb hole / bulb holder it will still flash as its the indicator relay that makes them flash. Make sure the bulb is right for it and you can just plumb the sidelight into the indicator circuit to make it flash. As long as its after the relay.

Secondly I always thought you had to have sidelights for MOT purposes, but the modern cars with headlights always on only have dipped and high beam, no sidelights so im not realy sure...

It might be one of those "If its fitted its gotta work" type jobbies.