Sign in to follow this  
coullstar

allen head bolts

Ok needing to get some allen head bolts out as circled in the photo below. I cannot get a socket allen key in as its too close to the downpipe, tried getting allen key in as well but lower bolt sits at too much of an angle.

Any suggestions on what I could do?

Only thing I can see is extended allen key socket then some universal joints back to a socket wrench.

They must have got them in somehow, a UJ attachment is probably your best port of call.

I can't see how Irwins would help if a socket type allen key won't fit. Does a long extender bar just foul the curved pipe then? Would a non ratcheted type handle do the trick?

In my socket set there is a small bar running through a head for a socket, that would take up minimal space and possibly work?

edit,or just remove the downpipe with the wategate attached?

Still have to get the other bolts out do I not? Thought about the irwins. Maybe grind down the allen key socket. Plan was to get the downpipe cut and rewelded.

If it were me I would use an allen key & a ring spanner the same size as it, you may have to sacrifice an allen key by cutting it down a bit but theyre not expensive & Ive found handy to have for other jobs, a ratchet spanner(if theres room) that fits the allen key makes it even easier...

In simple terms

cut roughly 1" length (or whatever size you need to make it work)off the correct size allen key

slide the piece you cut off into the correct fit ring or ratchet spanner & use the spanner to apply torque to said allen bolt :lol:

There is times where theres not enough room for the ring spanner to work so you have to use as good a fitting open end spanner as you can & hope the bolts not too tight.

edit,or just remove the downpipe with the wategate attached?

Still have to get the other bolts out do I not? Thought about the irwins. Maybe grind down the allen key socket. Plan was to get the downpipe cut and rewelded.

Yea you will have to get them out at some point but it will be easier out the car and yea its a good idea above.

If it were me I would use an allen key & a ring spanner the same size as it, you may have to sacrifice an allen key by cutting it down a bit but theyre not expensive & Ive found handy to have for other jobs, a ratchet spanner(if theres room) that fits the allen key makes it even easier...

In simple terms

cut roughly 1" length (or whatever size you need to make it work)off the correct size allen key

slide the piece you cut off into the correct fit ring or ratchet spanner & use the spanner to apply torque to said allen bolt :lol:

There is times where theres not enough room for the ring spanner to work so you have to use as good a fitting open end spanner as you can & hope the bolts not too tight.

Tried this briefly last night but there didnt seem to be room. Will try it again tonight.