Sign in to follow this  
big ben

how do i remove my bumpers/front panel?

im wanting to get some bits painted on the VRT soon. Im going to take the bits off myself and prep it all (might even paint it myself but only got a compressor at the min).

Anyway, how do i get to the bumpers off, is there a easy way to get at the brackets? and is the front panel fairly easy to have off, looks like it could be a bit awkward?

to do the front bumper you need to remove the outer 17mm bolts (2 each side) from the front cross member (not the middle 13mm one)

however, you need to support the engine with a crane/support beam or with a jack/stand under the cross member.

on early cars you need to remove the brake cooling ducts from the arch liners (screws/bolts inside arch liner)

late cars, I think you have small undertrays each side to remove?

you then need to remove the fogs/indicators to disconnect the wiring from behind and also remove the matal bar that supports the lower spoiler, as this clamps the spoiler and bumper cover to the from slam panel

think that's it.

David,

If you're not taking out the 13mm bolts, why do you need to support the engine? AFAIK it's the 13mm bolts that relate to the mountings - the 17mm's just secure the bumper in place.

hope your right, i dont really need to supporting an engine in my parking bay

Just took mine off mate no need to support it just remove the 4 17 mm bolts slides out then disconnect the wires.One thing put loads of wd40 on the bolts and leave for about 20 mins its a bit*h to get the bolts out.

ok sweet, so thats the front bumper off then...

what about the rear bumper, same sort of thing i take it?

David,

If you're not taking out the 13mm bolts, why do you need to support the engine? AFAIK it's the 13mm bolts that relate to the mountings - the 17mm's just secure the bumper in place.

they're piddly little bolts and would be taking the weight of the whole engine and gbox, I just thought it made sense to have a safety net of a jack under the front subframe.

Bentley also says not to move the car with the bumper (and 17mm bolts) off IIRC

also, When I took out one of my 13mm bolts it was also quite corroded, particularly on the passenger side, water seem sto collect behind it.

here we are, bumper bolts obviously form a major part of the front structural rigidity of the car:

bumpers.gif[/attachment:1p4izsqq]

Dont the bumper bolts help the 13mm bolts with the engine support?

I guess it's a matter of being safe rather than sorry. i.e. support the engine a bit to help the small bolts to do the work once the big boys have been removed :)

Dont the bumper bolts help the 13mm bolts with the engine support?

I guess it's a matter of being safe rather than sorry. i.e. support the engine a bit to help the small bolts to do the work once the big boys have been removed :)

YES!

see my edited post above +pic

Beat me to it.. but with more info and sounding much more knowledgable :)

Rear bumper is easy. Just remove the 2 bolts rececced up each side. Nothing else needs removing or supporting.

ok thanks, sounds a LOT easier than the front bumper and panel...

mmmm, depends how rusted up the rear ones are, a set of irwins may save you a lot of grief here although even with those the heads can snap off the bolts, they get lots more crap thrown up at them at the back

It is.

I've even removed the rear one all by myself.... having seen it done and with the bolts having been freed off due to removing it 2 years ago. :D (edit - as those above have just said)

And as with both of them, if you are doing it alone and have paintwork you want to look after have something clean and soft sitting underneath ready to put it down on.

ok then, when im back from holiday i think i will try and tackle it.. might spray the bumpers myself to if i can find a couple of decent guns for the primer and paint

my car was on about 160,000mile before anything was removed and nothing rounded off or caused any trouble. i did soak stuff with WD40 beforehand

Slam panel is quite straight forward, just lots of bolts, but easy to find.

I did support the engine, only with an axle stand and some wood, but didn't really need to

i also renewed all the large bolts while there

Yeah, renewing the bumper bolts once the old ones are removed is a no brainer. When you see the condition the old ones will be in you wont want to put them back in.

They are only a couple of quid each.

I did support the engine, only with an axle stand and some wood, but didn't really need to

Always always always support the engine. You will be underneath the car. The engine will kill you if it falls onto your head. I know people who have had the 13mm bolts snap (they are in a water trap and corrode) or someone may have removed them and not refitted them in the past.