Sign in to follow this  
winchbietch

vr6 intermediate shaft endfloat

Hey all.

Today when changing my cams to 263's i noticed the intermediate shaft had endfloat.

There is about 3 - 5 mm of endfloat play and you can see that the sprocket / chain has been wearing against the block.

Tommorrow im going to be looking into this further but Is the shaft adjustable or is it like im thinking that new bearings required?

How much of a pain is it to renew if bearings are required?

Paul

Well ive stripped it all out and there is about 2mm of endfloat on the intermediate shaft.

The wear marks on the block dont corrilate to any wear on the sprocket or chain.

It seems wrong to have play on it but is it supposed to?

From what i remember when rebuilding mine, the bearings are just on the diameters and there isnt a thrust bearing taking out endplay. I may be wrong. I would imagine that there would need to be a little play, as they are helical gears that drive the pump and helical gears do produce an axial force down the shaft.

I have had a browse through the bentley manual and there is nothing stating end play on the intermediate shaft.

Yeah i had a good read through my Bentley manual and had no success, i get what your saying though.

There is no up and down movement at all .

Thought it best to ask as i didn't fancy it exploding. :lol: