Sign in to follow this  
duckdown_hoodrat

Blue smoke of Death. Help!

Yo,

I gots blue smoke out of my 16v. Had it since i bought it really. puffs blue smoke if you rev it. Not a constant bellow, just when revved, but it's a lot!

I've cleaned the breather system and catch tank and last weekend did the rocker gasket as that was beyond knackered. I thought this may solve it as this was seeping oil into the plugs, so figured it would be burning it off there.

Plugs were dripping in oil when i took them out, and for a day it stopped smoking, but now it's started again.

Anything else to check before i assume stem seals? Or is it still burning off about 4 months of leaked oil from the gasket?!

Oh and i did a compression test on a cold engine and the readings were all bang on!

Cheers,

Dan

If plugs are getting oiled then it does point to either stem seals or piston rings. With good comp tests that should rule out the piston rings so looks like stem seals. Not sure on the breather system on a 16v so cant help there.

just hold out mate somebody will come along, just bump the thread tomorrow. theres a few valver guys around. I got oil on my ht leads to :mad2: I gotta get gaskets to

did you change both these??

http://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info. ... cts_id=664

Yeah man did both of them, not too bad a job to be fair. Definte improvement of spraying oil on the exhaust manifold :S

I know deep down it's going to be stem seals. Expensive job i'm guessing? May be time for 1.8T Swap i've been thinking about! :clap:

Mine is a G60, but also did this and one day it blew apart. :lol:

If your not confident with doing bits internally, it might just be cheaper for you to buy a known good 16v and drop that in, its not hard at all to do a like for like engine swap, just time consuming.

Whilst the old is out you can then fiddle with it and learn how to do piston rings, stem seal etc.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=81294&start=30

Have a look through thjis thread, particularly from page 2 onward. It may dispel some of your fears about stem seals and the work involved. I did mine and more over a weekend and used the car on Monday for work.

It does sound like stem seals but there is a special tool that means not having to take the head off, I think it's expensive to buy but if you ask around there's usually one floating around the local dubbers community who are usually happy to lend it to fellow sufferers.

Here one I found for 20v, but you can get them for 16v's :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-VW-20V-30V-I ... 5ad2a4c160

When you have the valves and that out the stem seals will be sitting on the ends of the valve guides down inside the head, looking from the top. Remove them with some long nosed pliers. To put in the new ones put the valve back in the head. You should get some little plastic covers in the kit to put over the ends of the valves to protect the seals while they are pushed down the valve stem to seat on the guides. To push the seals on there is a special tool for this but I drilled a hole, around 6 mm down the centre of a piece of dowel and used that to push them into place. Ive attached a pdf file that covers most of the stuff you'll need to do this.

If I'm rambling a bit it's because I'm drinking a large glasss of wine while staring at my patio waiting for ants to commit suicide. See off topic chat