Sign in to follow this  
Hewes

Clutch advice

The clutch seems a little funny, just wondering what the "best" clutch would be if the worst case senerio would be to replace the whole thing?

Cheers

edit: sorry it's a 2.0 16v :)

I presume it might be SACHS that makes the OEM ones - see no reason for not using one of those?.

If you go for an "uprated" clutch I would presume it's not as "smooth" for day to day driving.......no personal experience with that though, but I'm sure someone in here can shed some light on it :)

SACHS or LUK are fine but I would go with Genuine VAG as they are often better than the pattern part by the same manufacturer...

Before you take the gearbox off though - what feels strange... might just be the fluid needs changing or the slave cylinder is leaking.

When I pull off in first, usually if the car has been parked it will get moving then make a slight scraping noise but will only last a few miliseconds then go, it doesn't happen in any other gear and the noise isn't on the biting point either?

The car also attempts to pull away in 5th edges for about a metre then stalls, I was under the impression that in 5th the car should just stall?

Cheers

Sounds abit like clutch drag to me. Creeping in gear suggests that the clutch is not releasing properly. Try pumping the clutch pedal a few times before putting it into gear and see if this helps. If it does it suggests a problem with the hydraulics. I would check the slave cylinder first as it's pretty easy to get off to have a look at. Maybe a quick bleed of the system would help.