Sign in to follow this  
harryc

People who service their own cars?

Just wondering, im about to carry out a full service on the vr (all fluids, filters, etc etc done the plugs and the leads) so basically spending a fair bit and doing everything a garage would do during a service but im now going to end up with a gap in the service history. I want to keep a record of the service and what was done, should this go in the service book or is that 'not done' as i understand a service stamp carries a certain degree of job standard and so on. I do all work and servicing on my own cars but with the corrado im worried about this effecting the value of the car, what do people usually do in this situation?

You could put a note in the service book yourself and include a print out or something with a list of all the parts changed? Or if it bothers you enough, just wheel it round to VW or someone to just do an oil change and put a stamp in the book. Then you can do the rest at home :) Though I don't think I'd trust them to even do that without buggering it up!

Do you know any friendly garages. I do the service myself but get a garage i go to stamp it.

IMO its best to put it in yourself even with no stamp then there be no record at all of a service. If you keep receipts for any oil or filters etc you bought, that should help create some history. The car is getting on now and owned by alot of enthusiasts so i expect alot of us to do our own services. As long as there are receipts to the oil and filter, plugs or whatever i wouldnt see a problem.

do it yourself mate . if you sold your c in ,say 3 years time, just because its got service stamps does that make any difference? the bloke who buys it wont know the garage from adam, so whos to say it was done right ? and you could not do the same job [proberbly with more care] yourself. there are around five corrado's where i am and there all serviced by there owners . if i bought another c in five years time and it did not have fsh it would not put me off.however if you had a service book that was stamped by vw since new i accept this could push the money up .

if you keep all the receipts of all the parts you buy keep it all together, it'll have the date on it, so all you need to do is note down the milage keep it all together,

as suggested! if you do it all yourself and get it stamped by a garage, dont you think the person buying it will have that doubt in his/her mind why have you been taking a 15 year old car to vw for a service?! why aint you doing it on your driveway lol. plus if you then havent got the recipt for the service at vw or your local garage then why? i struggle with this because i work in the motor trade i get all my garage work done cash in hand, so no recipt for it.. i buy all my own parts tho so i have the proof it was done with them.

To support a service history, just start up a build thread on here and list everything done with pics of each service and maintenance to back it up. When you come to sell, give a link to your thread for the prospective buyer to read how well you've looked after the car. It will give so much more info than a stamp in the book ever could. I think the quality of ownership is far more important with cars of this age than a stamped book. Diff with new cars, so don't worry too much.

Thanks for the replies, going to go ahead with the diy service and keep all the receipts and try and get the book stamped with a mileage and a date just for a quick reference and note of when the next one should be carried out. :salute: