Sign in to follow this  
Donjon

HELP! 288 conversion!!! URGENT!!!

Help! I bought 288 calipers carriers discs and pads and they dont sit on the hub right! The discs hit the backing plate. Is there some sort of spacer required or am i missing something?

im guessing you have bought mk4 golf brakes and carriers. try using your corrado carriers and the 288 calipers

im guessing you have bought mk4 golf brakes and carriers. try using your corrado carriers and the 288 calipers

You cant use the 280 carriers with the 288 calipers.

Get some pictures.

Came of a late mk3 vr. I offer up the disc to the hub and if i were to bolt it on then it would rub against the backing plate!

Am i thinking of the rears then? im fairly sure mk4 carriers and discs have a different offset to mk3s/corrado's was under the impression to get over this you use corrado carriers. nevermind if its a mk3 though

What do you mean the backing plate? any pics?

That'll be the rears bud - came across that problem myself after re-furbing them :lol: mk4 rear carriers don't work on Corrados.

As with the mk3 VR 288's, u sure that's what they came off mate? You've bought the correct 288mm discs, for the fitment of a late mk3 VR?

You might find that the backing plate has been previously bent in, might get away with bending it back,apart from that do the calipers fit over the discs with pads in??

The backing plate is the plate behind the disc. And i bought them of here as a kit and the guy said they would fit!

The backing plate is the plate behind the disc. And i bought them of here as a kit and the guy said they would fit!

i know exactly what the backing plate is.

What im saying is if everything else fits it might be that the backing plate has been bent slightly.

if its a case of you cannot fit the disc on because the backing plate is stopping you getting the disc onto the hub then something is not right.

Pictures speak a thousand words

Will get some pics up when i can get on the computer. I will have to buy a new 280mm caliper tommorow as the reason i was upgrading was due to it being seized solid! And i need the car for work on monday! I hope the problems ease off when i get it on the road, but then again they probably wont! I wouldnt mind so much apart from the fact that i havent driven the thing yet!

sorry still unsure of what you mean, is it the brake shield? if so why not just remove it?

Will get some pics up when i can get on the computer. I will have to buy a new 280mm caliper tommorow as the reason i was upgrading was due to it being seized solid! And i need the car for work on monday! I hope the problems ease off when i get it on the road, but then again they probably wont! I wouldnt mind so much apart from the fact that i havent driven the thing yet!

Have you tried using a G clamp to push the piston back into the housing?,ive worked on plenty of seized calipers and they usually can be saved with some elbow grease.

Shame to buy a new caliper, im sure someone local on here who's upgraded has a spare caliper, if you were closer id lend you one.

Corrado 280mm discs are 22mm thick, golf 288mm discs are 25mm thick so It wouldn't surprise me if they did catch.

The solution is to bend or remove the offending article.