monzablau16v

Mystic Blue Storm - MYLene - CAR NOW SOLD

Just added some more content on page 1 and 2....

Some more pics of the leather refurb (doorcards) and also my DIY alcantara retrim (more to come on that as I progress further and get the time to upload more pics...)

Ta

Edited by monzablau16v

Amazing stuff- well done mate! Really looking forward to pics of the finished interior- have you tackled the driver's seat yet? Mine has similar wear, so am very interested in the results.

Paint looks spectacular too 8) How's the underside etc?

Amazing stuff- well done mate! Really looking forward to pics of the finished interior- have you tackled the driver's seat yet? Mine has similar wear, so am very interested in the results.

Paint looks spectacular too 8) How's the underside etc?

thanks for all the comments, it's taking ages...but i'm getting there.

Havn't managed to get to the driver seat yet, although i do have a genuine repair bolster sat waiting for me to get around to it. I am in two minds to get it done prefesionally, just as it is so worn and as good as the furniture clinic stuff is, i think it needs a retrim in new leather.

Car needs a good clean and buff at the moment, but the underside is very good. Just one or two very small patches of the underseal have come away, which i touched in with some replacement underseal, sills are all good too.

Just spent the whole day trying to get the interior C pillar plastic done in alcantara - WHAT A COMPLETE PITA, but managed to get it done. That leaves the other C pillar and the two B pillars to do, then i can get it all fitted.

Couple of issues I need to figure out right now:

1) Sunvisors are currently the original beige/grey. Dont think i can retrim them myself as they look proper hard to do without looking poo. Are there any alternative VAG models with black visors that i can retrofit???

2) The "rubber" interior surround that goes around the sunroof recess and the headlining is also beige/grey... it will look faily naff if that cant be colour matched. Need to think how to do that really.... did they ever do them in black???

ta

Edited by monzablau16v

thanks for all the comments, it's taking ages...but i'm getting there.

Havn't managed to get to the driver seat yet, although i do have a genuine repair bolster sat waiting for me to get around to it. I am in two minds to get it done prefesionally, just as it is so worn and as good as the furniture clinic stuff is, i think it needs a retrim in new leather.

Car needs a good clean and buff at the moment, but the underside is very good. Just one or two very small patches of the underseal have come away, which i touched in with some replacement underseal, sills are all good too.

Just spent the whole day trying to get the interior C pillar plastic done in alcantara - WHAT A COMPLETE PITA, but managed to get it done. That leaves the other C pillar and the two B pillars to do, then i can get it all fitted.

Couple of issues I need to figure out right now:

1) Sunvisors are currently the original beige/grey. Dont think i can retrim them myself as they look proper hard to do without looking poo. Are there any alternative VAG models with black visors that i can retrofit???

2) The "rubber" interior surround that goes around the sunroof recess and the headlining is also beige/grey... it will look faily naff if that cant be colour matched. Need to think how to do that really.... did they ever do them in black???

ta

People have sprayed the sunvisors black in the past and they look alright

just read your thread , nice work there mate . got to do my leather again in the winter , not a job im lookin forward to though!.

cheers! .... just got the last few bits back (updates on page two)

If this sodding weather would sort itself out I would start putting it all back in the car.

Right, before i break out the welder and weld my &*~#ing sunroof permanently closed ... i wondered if anyone here had any thoughts on a few 'issues' i am having.... (i have sat and performed search after search on the forums - trust me i looked in ALL the forum posts but i am still a bit miffed). So i decided to take pics and hopefully they will help someone in the future....

SO, I am having the following issues:

- scraping of roof lid / panel leaving scratches in the paint - mostly on the DRIVER side with one towards the passenger side.

- interior trim panel is not moving fully forward when trying to close the roof from the fully slid back (opened) position.

I recently had the whole sunroof casette out as the motor was knackered and the roof would tilt fine but slide back in tiny increments and stuggle to close itself (commonly documented issue). So I replaced the motor with a late MK3 item and it worked fine - result! I also cleaned and re-greased the runners/tracks using the correct VAG lube whilst the sunroof was out

PHOTO 1

img5591k.jpg

PHOTO 2

p1040662w.jpg

The sunroof also had the following two items recently replaced :

(item 12)

(item 1)

*although i am not 100% sure if it was both on passenger side, one on driver and one on passenger or both on driver side (the body shop who did the respray purchased and installed the items - NOTE TO OTHER CORRADO OWNERS - dont let the bodyshop do it... remove it yourself!)

PHOTO 3

replacedonpassengerside.jpg

(Used as a reference : http://www.wagenstad.com/index.php?modid=398&page=8-154-15)

From what i think, i believe item 12 (repair for water guide plate) was replaced on the DRIVER side (1H0 898 020) and item 1 (repair kit for guide) was replaced on the PASSENGER side (1H0 898 017 A), my reasoning below:

PHOTO 4

p1050686e.jpg

PHOTO 5

p1050687v.jpg

PHOTO 6 As you can see the plastic clips are all intact on passenger side, and they are white

img5586s.jpg

PHOTO 7 Here on the driver side, the plastic is black and there is one clip broken/missing.

img5587m.jpg

Scraping Issue:

The problem ... NOT HAPPY!

PHOTO 8 Deep scratches on Driver side

p1040682f.jpg

PHOTO 9 highlights of problem areas

p1040683b.jpg

I see and feel no play in the sunroof panel if i attempt to move it whilst the sunroof is fully opened on tilt - there is zero movement at all. I also noticed that the clearence between the metal brace (inside the car) and the roof panel is ridiculously tiny and i thought that the roof panel was catching on it as it slid back into the roof cavity. So i broke out the dremel and gave it a small shaving at the point where the scratches were. Is there any flipping reason why the gap is so small to even become an issue - what a crap design!?!

PHOTO 10 An odd patch in the inner roof which was in line with the largest scrape on the sunroof panel - so I dremelled it flat. Is this patch rust???

p1040660t.jpg

PHOTO 11 Here you can see the after effects of the dremel - the gap between the sliding roof panel and this metal edge was like 1 mm - cant understand why the clearence is so small? anyway - i dremeled the edge off where the main scratches in sunroof panel on the driver side were

p1040684h.jpg

PHOTO 12 These odd patches were all along the width of the roof...

p1040661.jpg

So, is it worth getting the repair kits for the "opposite sides" and install them before putting everything back together (headlining, pillar trims etc...)? The thought of getting it all put in and the lid getting scratched again will probably make me drive the car off a cliff.

1H0 898 019 repair kit for water guide plate (LEFT) - item number 12

1H0 898 018 A repair kit for guide (RIGHT) - item number 1

Interior Trim Panel Issue:

So what happens is that when i slide the sunroof fully back / open, the panel slides along with it. However, when i try to close the sunroof, the trim panel moves forward but only to the 3/4 position (roughly where the purple line is). This is unless I actually push the panel with my hand forward (toward front of car) as i hold the sunroof switch to close it.

PHOTO 13

p1040685y.jpg

On the inner panel, there are the two plastic runners either side (highlighted in the red box below) with the groove which the sunroof tilting mechanism "pin" (highlighted in green circles in PHOTOS 6 and 7) slot into. The runners slide back and forth but I wasnt sure why? The yellow circle shows the little plastic clip that when released, the whole runner slides in the direction of the purple arrow. What is this clip for, should it be left in the position it is shown in the photo or should i release the clip to allow the runner to slide back and forth? Just wondered if this was anything to do with my interior panel not fully closing from the slide position??? If you look at PHOTO4, you can see the clip is fully engaged when the roof is tilted fully open.

PHOTO 14

p1040538c.jpg

Also, in photo below, the little metal clips are supposed to slot into something at the front of the mechanism. I made sure i pushed the trim panel all the way to the front very hard to make sure they were engaged, but i still get the problem with the trim not going to its normal, closed position.

PHOTO 15

p1040633e.jpg

As i mentioned before, I did notice one of the plastic clips was missing on the driver side (red circle) on PHOTO 7 - is this part of the issue???

Thanks for reading folks. Right now i wanted to get my headlining and all the trim back into the car, but this sodding sunroof is stopping me doing that as I dont want to do all that work only to find out i need to take it all out again to fix the sunroof AGAIN!

Sorry can't help with the sunroof problems, but just wanted to say what an astounding job you've done on the leather refurb and Alcantara panels.

When I dyed my seats I hired a compressor from Furniture clinic, all they wanted was a refundable deposit so it made sense as it was effectively free! Certainly made the job a heck of a lot easier!

Keep up the hard work, and hope you sort the sunroof soon! (as I want to see finished photos :p)

Andy

Been meaning to upload pics / update this thread....

So I had a total rewire of the headlights and this included refurbishing the headlights and making a good set from the three sets i had in my possession. Some had broken level adjusters, one had a broken lens and one had a hole in the back....

Headlight split apart - easily done following the guides in the wiki

p1040691c.jpg

REMEMBER NOT TO TOUCH THE SILVER REFLECTOR

p1040705v.jpg

Back Case

p1040692u.jpg

AMP Superseal connectors - watertight! Also the relay holder for the new headlight loom i made

p1040701c.jpg

Out with the old

p1040694j.jpg

In with the new

p1040712i.jpg

p1040714.jpg

The workbench..errr dining table!

p1040699s.jpg

Disgusting amount of dirt build up over the years...

p1040693q.jpg

Looking nice and clean

p1040706o.jpg

p1040704k.jpg

New plastic spiral protection for the wiring loom

p1040703.jpg

Box of all the old crap

p1040707f.jpg

Copper grease...man's best friend

p1040708o.jpg

p1040709y.jpg

p1040710aa.jpg

New VW connectors - didnt want to butcher the OEM headlight loom connectors so bought these and will mean my DIY upgraded loom can be bypassed in a second without too much hassle

p1040715e.jpg

Remember the little watertight grommets

p1040713.jpg

ahhhh.... noooiice! Got some light smoked headlight tint from Lamin-X, very good stuff and makes the headllights look subtely different and a bit meaner

p1040718n.jpg

Edited by monzablau16v

Both lights together

p1040751a.jpg

Loom wires threaded through grommets in plastic casing to connect up to the headlight relays. Nice waterproof home for them (well not 100% watertight, but good enough!)

p1040746kq.jpg

A little tidying up needed on the headlight bracket on the front slam panel. Ground back, treated with KRUST , cleaned up and then primered and sprayed.

p1040755n.jpg

p1040749s.jpg

p1040753fa.jpg

p1040763a.jpg

Stainless Headlight screws

p1040757o.jpg

New hardware for the fogs from VW

p1040756s.jpg

p1040760x.jpg

p1040761fc.jpg

p1040768e.jpg

p1040769.jpg