Sign in to follow this  
robrado974

short engine ?

dont want to apear dumb but what is a short engine? did put post up yesterday bout thoughts on prices on new bottom end ,but know replies?.went on tsr website they do a 2.8 short engine . i have a tsr pack a head fitted , but when i serviced the vr i noticed oil on some of the plugs :( guessin piston rings on the way out. its done 145000 now and the old girl still rockets along when asked to!. so dont know what to do, get a new bottom end complete, or do people still do rebores and stuff anymore? advice would be great thanks ,rob

If it's about Corrados, the odds are it doesn't belong in the General forum - could you read the forum descriptions before starting threads please?

Ta

:hitler:

Edit: Better put a smiley so I don't appear mean.

:grin:

A short engine will be block, crank, rods and pistons.

How oily are the plugs? If it still "rockets along", and doesn't pour out clouds of smoke, I would live with it for at least a while. 145,000 isn't a huge mileage especially if you have had the head done (and probably the timing chains, guides and tensioners). Do the plugs actually foul up to the extent that they misfire? What rate of oil consumption are you getting?

Best wishes

RB

A short engine will be block, crank, rods and pistons.

How oily are the plugs? If it still "rockets along", and doesn't pour out clouds of smoke, I would live with it for at least a while. 145,000 isn't a huge mileage especially if you have had the head done (and probably the timing chains, guides and tensioners). Do the plugs actually foul up to the extent that they misfire? What rate of oil consumption are you getting?

Best wishes

RB

hi mate the oil is on the thread of a couple of plugs. no misfire, not to sure bout oil consumption as it does not do alot of mileage at the mo .thanks rob

Well, if the oil is only on the threads of the plugs and not on the electrodes or insulator, you don't have a problem at all with bore or piston ring wear. Maybe the camshaft cover gasket is weeping oil into the plug recesses and it is running down to the plugs. It's a relatively straightforward job to replace the gasket (once you have got the top half of the inlet manifold off, which can be frustrating as the 7 socket head screws are not easily accessible and will be tight).

Best wishes

RB