Sign in to follow this  
Thom

Ignition Switch....

Hello....

I went to start the car today and it wouldn't turn over. After checking for voltage at the starter and finding none I thought the ignition switch must be dying so took off the trim to have a llok. If I hold the key to start and wiggle the wires to the plug it all comes to life, but I can't see any problem with the wiring. Before I run off and get a new switch, is this the normal thing that happens? being that the connections inside the switch die?

Cheers

T

Hello....

I went to start the car today and it wouldn't turn over. After checking for voltage at the starter and finding none I thought the ignition switch must be dying so took off the trim to have a llok. If I hold the key to start and wiggle the wires to the plug it all comes to life, but I can't see any problem with the wiring. Before I run off and get a new switch, is this the normal thing that happens? being that the connections inside the switch die?

Cheers

T

Just get a new one anyway mate, one less thing to replace later. Ive got a 6n polo switch on mine, picked it up for 15 or 20 squids...

mate that has happened to me on two rados changed the switch and fine. however it was useful as anti theft device as it needs a kanck to wiggle key in ignition right

Yep - sounds like common ignition switch failure behaviour! :)

The 6NO is the second replacement of the original... only buy a new VW one as the GSF ones only last 1-2 years.

They tend to just break up inside - what colour is yours? if it's not black plastic then change it.

I had this on mine and replaced the ignition switch for one that, alright wasn't new but I knew it worked fine, and still had the problem of having to wriggle the back of the switch loom to start the car.

The 6NO is the second replacement of the original... only buy a new VW one as the GSF ones only last 1-2 years.

They tend to just break up inside - what colour is yours? if it's not black plastic then change it.

Mine's a white one, I'll order a replacement, thanks :-)

I had this on mine and replaced the ignition switch for one that, alright wasn't new but I knew it worked fine, and still had the problem of having to wriggle the back of the switch loom to start the car.

Any ideas?