Sign in to follow this  
RichG60

Are rear arches different on early / late models?

My car has started to develop bubbles at the end of the drivers side arch section and I'm desperate for another arch to weld in and do the job properly. Does any one know if the early rear arches are different to the late ones?

If anyone has an arch that's not rusty and willing to cut it off for me I would be extremely grateful.

Cheers

Rich

They're compatibe but they changed them at least twice during production - have a look at the lip on an early car and compare to a late, very different!

Thats strange weve got early and late cars here and the rear arches are exactly the same, I just went out and checked because Ive never noticed a difference before. :shrug:

yep, the body shells changed for the start of VR production, when the late front end came out in 1992.

I assume this was to allow for 205 tyres, but all the 4 pot cars got the same body rather than have two rear quarters in production at the same time, it's very subtle, just like part of the arch lip has been rolled/trimmed back.

Thats strange weve got early and late cars here and the rear arches are exactly the same, I just went out and checked because Ive never noticed a difference before. :shrug:

Yeah have a closer look at the lip on the early car Graham, you'll see what I mean - it's very apparent on anything before 1990....

Yeah have a closer look at the lip on the early car Graham, you'll see what I mean - it's very apparent on anything before 1990....

Yep, although there are no other dimensional differences between the two aside from the lip change.