Sign in to follow this  
dtjames

Heater matrix question

I think my heater matrix is knackered - Got a steam blast through the vents when I turned on the heater yesterday, would this confirm my thoughts?

Has anyone had any success with replacing it without moving the dash - a la Corrado wiki method?

Also, is the Eurocarpart the best option as a replacement please?

Thanks for your support in advance all - Cheers.

I'd suggest buying a new item like this from VW personally, rather than ECP.

I believe this can be done on the VR without taking the dash out. Someone on here posted up a VERY comprehensive guide on how to do it though... think it was -=kris=- ...?

The whole heater matrix enclosure can be removed via the passenger footwell. Remove glovebox, centre console, blower and some air ducting. There are some hidden screws behind the some air vents which have to be removed also. I would recommend using a new VW valeo matrix as other makes can produce an acrid smell for a long time when on higher heat setting.

GSF sell 2 different ones- one cheapy one, and also a Valeo one, which is pretty much identical to the VW Valeo one- in fact, I'm pretty sure they're exactly the same! Around £40 and you can get 10% of with CCGB membership.

ECP one is Valeo, £30 all in.

Can anyone confirm my symptoms indicate that it's the matrix?

Also, is Radweld worth a punt?

I have ordered a Valeo one, since my local VW told me that the very original ones were no longer being manufactured, and that they were to use one of these anyway.

Are there different Valeo ones available? I thought £30 sounded very reasonable from ECP.

Finally, why not try Radweld? I have to admit it got me out of a hole with another car in the past and am tempted to try the Premium version. My local mechanic also told me to give it a try, but also admitted that my Corrado is the only one he's ever worked with and to come here to take experienced advice too.

i tried to replace it with the dash in, but then found it ALOT easier to remove the dash, it also enabled me to tidy up some of the wiring behind the dash, it was alot easier then i had thought to remove the dash and made it so much easier to replace the matrix.

i got the valeo one fromm GSF and had no problems at all and its been a year since done it.

Excellent feedback on the Valeo matrix - thanks.

Can someone offer me the reasons why I shouldn't attempt a Radweld fix? It worked as a permanent fix on my old car years ago, but I don't want to wreck my Corrado.

Only thing i would say it that isnt a radweld an easy temp fix? personally id replace the matrix, its one of them jobs that once its done, it wont need doing again for along time.

i wouldnt trust radweld.

Excellent feedback on the Valeo matrix - thanks.

Can someone offer me the reasons why I shouldn't attempt a Radweld fix? It worked as a permanent fix on my old car years ago, but I don't want to wreck my Corrado.

Because it's intended to be a temporary fix - not a permanent fix. If it was meant to be like that, VW would put it in the coolant out of the factory!

Rad Weld won't do a VR6 engine any good because of the small waterways... it's designed to keep old heaps running, not 150Mph performance cars.

Using it to try and fix a leaking heater matrix is utter lunacy - if the matrix actually blows due to a hot spot then the car could completely fill with steam in seconds and potentially burn the passenger too.

All's well that ends well...

Local mechanic replaced the heater matrix - £250.00 all in (including labour, matrix and coolant.)

He reckoned there was no chance of doing it without removing the dash though. He showed me the state of the one that came out - completely wrecked.

Completely changed the smell in the car when blowers are on, but I have noticed the running temperature has increased slightly.

Thanks for your advice guys, and in particular for Vince @ Stealth's expertise too.

Cheers.

shame that, about 4 hours of your time and £40 matrix it could of been alot cheeper.

But glad its done, its not the nicest of jobs to do.