Sign in to follow this  
CorradoCymru

Possible Airlock??

Hi,

Just bought myself a 1.8 16V with 130 on the clock and full history, checked for all the things you guys have said to on the buying guide and it all seemed ok, but the water temp gauge wasnt working and the low level light was flashing. thought it was just the sensor not working, but after toppping up the light came back on today so had a check around all the engine for leaks but it's pretty damp today so cant really tell .

there's no mayo on the oil cap and doesnt seem to be any white smoke. oil temp sticks around 80-90 but the water temp i have noticed does rise slightly off min.

Had the engine running early and was feeking the pipe to the top of the rad and it got hot but the bottom pipe stayed cold. and am i right in thinking that the temp sensor is on the bottom right of the rad looking at the front of the car???

Any help guys most appreciated

Thanks

The sensor on the rad is the fan switch... it has nothing to do with the water temp gauge.

I can't remember where the water temp sensor is on the 16V KR lumps, but I'll have a look when I get home tonight and let you know if no-one here posts the answer before hand... 8)

If the top hose is hot, and the bottom stays cold, you could well have a blocked/dead thermostat. (lives in the bottom of the waterpump)

If you're loosing water, start with the cheap easy things first: Check all the pipe joins for leaks, check around the radiator for leaks, check the water flanges on the head/block for leaks, Have a close look at the metal water pipe that runs around the front of the engine and over the top of the gearbox (it rots and gets pin-holes in it!) Fit a new expansion tank cap, and see if any of that little lot helps (total cost, a couple of hours looking at your engine and about £15 for a cap!) 8)

If that little lot doesn't help, time for a pressure check/leak test... :? :|

Good luck, enjoy your new car, and welcome to the forum! 8)

On the 1.8 16v, the sensor for the fan is situated on a small bracket attached to the front of the block, just in front of, and slightly lower than the oil filler cap. It looks like a largish nut with an electrical connection to it. Hope that helps! :)

Just to update you all, have located the source of my leak a split hose, just need to get my hands on a copy of ETKA now to order a new one from the stealers.

Thanks foor the advice guys

Henny,

You are clearly the man on these things. I have the old hot pipes + cold bottom pipe but I also have excessive pressure in the system. Are the two linked in that bu££ered thermo causes excess pressure?? Or could the whole thing be caused by an airlock as when i replaced the heater matrix i filled the system from the top. water is hitting 120C and oil can go up to 130C on a 20 min run. please help! :)