Sign in to follow this  
Portent

What's going on here then?

I've been keeping an eye on this car, but not considered it too much as it's a touch above my budget and I wasn't sure I liked the colour:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1767253.htm

For the spec it seems reasonable money; low mileage, leather, and even air con. But the mention of a carbon fibre boot panel and the lack of any rear badges raised a question in my mind (ie has it had a bump - which is ok as long as it has been fixed properly). Then I noticed it has been on sale recently for a much lower price, with rear badges and no mention of air con (surely air con is something you'd shout from the roof about):

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1675775.htm

So what's going on there? Why did it originally sell for such a low price (obscenely low for a VR which looks good condition and with leather) and why has it suddenly popped up again for a much higher price, lost it's rear badge (gaining a carbon fibre panel) and now has air con. Does this seem dodgy or am I just reading too much into it? And is it fairly common to replace the boot panel with carbon fibre to prevent rust?

The original ad is hardly comprehensive though is it? Not really a surprise that air con wasn't mentioned.

Seems odd that badges aren't on it later on but could be easily explained - paintwork, cleaning, been smashed (!).

Doesn't look like the best car ever especially for over £3k.

Ah yes, the carbon fibre spoiler makes sense. Well can't blame someone for trying to make a profit if they were lucky enough to pick it up at a good price.

Got a feeling the guy is talking about the number plate surround in carbon fibre, not a spoiler that looks painted in the ebay ad. They were for sale on ebay for a stupid £150 :cuckoo: