RichG60

1.8t conversion - Which route?

Ok chaps I have big plans for J491 GCD.

I'm about to remove the G60 engine and look for a 1.8t. When I start this I will document it as I go along with lots of pics :)

Now I have a few questions.

How can I identify if I have an early / late ecu wiring loom. I believe the car is an early version but retro fitted with later interior.

The root I was planning to take was either source AGU (150bhp) / AUQ (180bhp) engine types, ensure I source a K03s turbo if AGU. Run Qpeng loom and ecu.

or

Source same engines but build custom loom and use emerald ecu for custom map. Obviously would be trickier as the car would need to be carted to the tuning garage.

Choices, choices :grin:

I would be aiming for 240bhp but does anybody know roughly the kind of torque these conversions make with a K03s?

Also other conversion ideas would be useful using the 1.8t :)

Thanks

Rich

your car will have the correct wiring.

i went the qpeng route but got the DIY kit and built my own loom.

my ARX engine with the K03s makes 247bhp and 250lb/ft torque.

there is a big thread on the 20v conversion on here, have a gander.

the conversion is a doddle though. not sure why everyone hasn't done it yet! :D

the engine suits the car perfectly, get it done!

Now I just need to find an engine with resonable miles with all the ancilliaries I need. how did you guys source your engines?

Cheers

Now I just need to find an engine with resonable miles with all the ancilliaries I need. how did you guys source your engines?

Cheers

my local breakers had a suitable donar car in when i wanted one. just keep an eye on the various forums and watch for overpriced engines

If I was doing it, I would get the engine and running gear from a MK7 Polo GTI (BJX engine code - K03S standard) and drop the lot in, complete with management and ABS, the lot :D

What's the ball park figure for a low mileage motor? I'm looking for mileage around 50k or lower. Complete engine without gearbox, loom and ecu, intercooler, radiator etc.

what's the overall rough cost for a 1.8t conversion?

Do new engine mounts need to be fabricated?

It can vary. I used my g60 mounts. You will need to consider a downpipe, driveshafts, intercooler and piping etc

howcome you've gone from 1.8t conversion to not having the money to keep it in 5 days?! :confused4:

when i fitted the interior no looms were changed the only loom i changed was the headlight loom, but since i had it i cannot confirm what else has been done