Sign in to follow this  
dean2

60mm drop!

wonderin if anyone has some advice had my c for 3 weeks now and loving it pearl green and all standard!which brings me to the standard ride height!a bit comical to say the least and am looking to make it stand better!i dont really have a lot to spend on a decent coilover setup and i dont want to buy cheap so i was looking into buyin a decent set of lowering spring and was wondering if it would be ok to use the original shocks ie could they take a 60mm drop!?also would i need to buy any drop links for the front to take the drop?cheers

IF the current shocks are in mint nick they wont be after maybe 3-4 months of running them on 60mm springs!, even the cheapest coilovers are only about £300 or about the same for an average set of shocks/springs. save the pennies and either get a set of 30/40mm decent springs only and make sure your shocks are good or save and get a full kit!

i got some coming off soon, think they're 40mm drop with uprated shocks ... will have to double check ...

you can have them for cheap mate

how cheap is cheap mate?

IF the current shocks are in mint nick they wont be after maybe 3-4 months of running them on 60mm springs!, even the cheapest coilovers are only about £300 or about the same for an average set of shocks/springs. save the pennies and either get a set of 30/40mm decent springs only and make sure your shocks are good or save and get a full kit!

ok cheers mate iv been looking at jom coilovers but havnt heard of them any good?

Think 60 is way too much and will ruin the handling totally, even if the standard dampers are brand new it isn't a good move. would think a kit with uprated dampers rather than just springs would be a far better option.

Really though buddy VW spent lord know's how much on getting the handling set up right with the Corrado and unless it's done right it could even be dangerous. I dont get why looks come before function if i'm honest.

I must be the only person ever to buy standard VR dampers :lol: cant wait to get them on too! :norty:

Think 60 is way too much and will ruin the handling totally, even if the standard dampers are brand new it isn't a good move. would think a kit with uprated dampers rather than just springs would be a far better option.

Really though buddy VW spent lord know's how much on getting the handling set up right with the Corrado and unless it's done right it could even be dangerous. I dont get why looks come before function if i'm honest.

I must be the only person ever to buy standard VR dampers :lol: cant wait to get them on too! :norty:

kip the only thing to add is that vw spent time making sure it was an every day car! that doesn't mean it can't be improved with a different setup! i would agree that in this case a damper change along with springs is the right move or coilovers made to not just lower but provide a good setup is the best option!

Very true Rob,

I dont mean that by lowering it wont improve the handling I guess what I mean is standard dampers are made to work with the spring it came from the factory with and not one that lowers it 40 or 60 mm.

Many years ago I read dozens of articles by respected folk like Peter Noad about lowering suspension and it seemed at the time that a lowered spring without a better damper would be a terrible ride where as the opposite like an uprated damper on original springs would improve the handling dramatically.

Which is the method i chose even though it looks like a JCB :lol:

All the guys i work with though have lowered cars and they all take the micky which is fine as i know when it comes to a spirited drive cross country i know which i'd rather be in. The roads in our country are pathetic in a standard height car so god knows what it's like for you guys :gag:

Tractor style or not.

However i would like to lower mine just slightly if i could get away with it :lol:

kip agree that lowering the car on the uk roads is not the best! i have to take my hat off to you and judith for keepin the car as standard as possible!

judith did something to my head though was cleaning again today!! :confused4:

Agree whole heartedly with the Kipster :salute:

Suspension travel is key to good handling and good ride quality, even with uprated coilovers and / or spring-damper sets.

Although I just cannot bring myself to drive around on standard VR6 ride height, or should that be 'RV'6? :lol:

On the later VR6s at least, it seems like VW went a bit too far with the ride height. They must have received some complaints about ride quality and clearance (hence the introduction of the 50mm spoiler along side the jacked up springs) but imo it wasn't quite necessary to jack it up that much :D

A lot of people are happy to sacrifice some ride comfort for better dynamics and looks though, so it's very much a personal thing :D Obviously if you go too low then all manner of things start getting messed up, but some folk like it!

i'd like to add that i've had two different makes of -40mm springs on mine car and the front end dropped 90mm over standard and was too low, 1995 vr6 it was and i bought weitec springs then Pi springs and both the same problem