Sign in to follow this  
TimDoc

MAF wiring problems?

Issues for a while, intermittent throughout but now more present than not. VagCom'd the car and it only brings up one error which is MAF short to earth.

This threw me slightly as I had replaced the MAF only around 6 months ago, which makes me think my old MAF may be fine and this may be a loom problem. The loom that runs from the ECU to the MAF looks mighty long and complicated to go looking for a cracked/failed wire, is this the only way or is there anything I should do first?? Was thinking i should check that it's earth is sound first, but then looked at the wiring diagram, and it looks like it would be attached to a much larger earth that earths a number of sensors??

Any help appreciated.

Remake the loom?

Replace to loom?

Tim

Now realise that this is part of a large loom that reaches to the ECU and the fuse box, so not really up for replacing that as it is likely to be rather expensive!

Is there a quick way to find out where the short is other than visual inspection?

Have already cleaned up the earth straps on the body, the engine and the gear box to make sure these arent contributing to the problem.

Anyone else had to troubleshoot this one?

T

I had that problem recently.

Do all of the MFA functions work ok on your dashboard?

Mine had all failed, including the temp gauge, and I later found that I'd dislodged a plug on the back of the fuse board while tracing an other fault.

After I'd reconnected it and VAG-COMed it again, I had no MAF fault :D

You might have just become my new best friend nick VR6! Found a loose plug on the lower row of the wires going into the back of the fuse box, had also had intermittantly had missing signal from the outside temperature sensor - so i think you might have just stopped me from spending a lot of money!! If we ever meet i owe you a pint or a few!

Fingers crossed it is now sorted (driven about 4 miles since with no issues)

Tim :D :D :D :D

Glad you got it sorted, and hope that was the cause of the trouble.

Mine's had no trouble since reconnecting the plug.

I think it was the alarm fitters who loosened the plug on mine, and eventually it just fell out.

Mine was on the bottom row too, so it sounds like it was the same one.

Good luck with it.