Sign in to follow this  
Andy665

Great offers on new Volkswagens

Volkswagens internal stock locating / ordering system is going down tonight for about 3 weeks, Inchcape have therefore secured and registered a large number of vehicles that will be available for sale immediately with some big savings on offer, 2k on Sciroccos, 4k on Tiguams etc, only downside is that they are effectively used cars (though with zero mileage) and can't be delivered for 2-3 months in some cases.

A scotish VW dealer sold a brand spankin new rocco R in blue with a list price of 30k for 23k... madness...

Ah the swap over to NVS, forgot that was happening.... so glad I'm missing out on this! :lol:

I know Inchcape have over 400 cars available from central stock, literally everything from Fox through to Passat CC - first come first served, if other Volkswagen dealers / groups have had any sense they will have also bought stock

Call 0845 126 8925 ask for Richard to book in your attendance for Thursday 16th July previewing at Smith Knight Fay (Inchcape) Stockport is what I have been given. LOL, only had the new Scirocco since Nov'09 !!.

Won't be the only dealer handling this

Two Scirocco R's went from that dealer???

A black and a blue Scirocco R with a serious discount attached. Dealers have passed onto the public at £23k.

Both sold immediately. Traders appear to have got first dibs. :scratch:

I don't get this... massive discounts because the normal ordering system will be down? Why does that make a difference?

And, working in IT, they have a pants implementation manager if it takes three weeks to implement a new system.

Portent - only reason I can think of is that dealers will not be able to search and / or secure stock cars until the new system is live, I suppose Volkswagen offer big discounts on new cars to incentivise dealers to buy stock, discounts will have been offered because of the financial implications of buying stock that has not yet been bought by an end customer.

As to why there will be so much down time - thats the way the motor industry works - stupid but sadly true

This a VW System and not sure about this year but usually August is a German holiday period so factories close. Therefore good time to do maintenance / upgrades / new systems.

Bottom line is if you want a bargain, get yourself to a participating Inchape dealer and come out smiling!

I don't get this... massive discounts because the normal ordering system will be down? Why does that make a difference?

And, working in IT, they have a pants implementation manager if it takes three weeks to implement a new system.

Incentives offered for cashflow reasons, as Andy has said, as dealers are being told that stock will not be available to search/move/sell for the duration of dialog being down and NVS being installed. Dealers can't exactly close for 3 weeks so the manufacturer has to do something to get them through (plus this bargain stock is out of the new stock system - effectively now used stock - which makes the new implementation a bit easier)

As for the 3 weeks needed - you are looking at an extremely complicated stock management system. The IT part will already be installed at each dealer by now but the physical process of moving thousands of cars from one system to the other, plus hundreds of thousands of customer details, hundreds of dealer details etc and to get all the accounts to balance is a huge task.

I've recently moved from being a dealer accountant at a VW branch (2 weeks ago) and was part of all the meetings/planning/training etc in the build up to this and I'm so glad i'm not there to take part in it as although I think it'll be a fairly smooth process, any potential problems could be disasterous if not corrected quickly.

When they did this changeover at Seat/Skoda last year there was one dealer who accidently purchased over £1M worth of vehicles in a single day due to a system error so the numbers we're talking per VW dealer is pretty high.

On the plus side if average Joe can get a bargain, then all the better.

Incentives offered for cashflow reasons, as Andy has said, as dealers are being told that stock will not be available to search/move/sell for the duration of dialog being down and NVS being installed. Dealers can't exactly close for 3 weeks so the manufacturer has to do something to get them through (plus this bargain stock is out of the new stock system - effectively now used stock - which makes the new implementation a bit easier)

As for the 3 weeks needed - you are looking at an extremely complicated stock management system. The IT part will already be installed at each dealer by now but the physical process of moving thousands of cars from one system to the other, plus hundreds of thousands of customer details, hundreds of dealer details etc and to get all the accounts to balance is a huge task.

I've recently moved from being a dealer accountant at a VW branch (2 weeks ago) and was part of all the meetings/planning/training etc in the build up to this and I'm so glad i'm not there to take part in it as although I think it'll be a fairly smooth process, any potential problems could be disasterous if not corrected quickly.

When they did this changeover at Seat/Skoda last year there was one dealer who accidently purchased over £1M worth of vehicles in a single day due to a system error so the numbers we're talking per VW dealer is pretty high.

On the plus side if average Joe can get a bargain, then all the better.

Indeed. I run support areas for banks processing billions of pounds per day and over the last 23 years have designed, built, and implemented many systems including migrating absolutely huge databases. I'm still gobsmacked it's taking them three weeks. If I had VW shares I'd be selling them now as this all sounds a bit risky.

Clearly we only have a small amount of information and there must be some sensible reason for it taking this long. But it just seems very odd to me.

Think their biggest issue is they've not got a huge team working on it, and whilst the system is down they can't have stock moving about as that would be a nightmare to sort out.

Stock movement is the problem, not the computer system, i'll be speaking to my old colleagues to see how it's going as it's a really interesting process they're going through. The system they're moving from (dialog) was designed in the 60's so you can just imagine how clunky it is, and the new system is all singing and dancing etc so it'll be a learning curve.