Sign in to follow this  
skinnyman9000

Realistic sale/breaking value

Ive had my rado for over 3yrs now, i do love it, but its beginning to become impratical for me to hold onto it. Within the next 18-24months im going to be buying a house, and financially i just dont feel its a good idea to be running a rado daily during this process, due to their unpredictable nature, the breakdowns are making it rather hard to save for a deposit.

My question is, how much do people realistically make from breaking them?

Its a 1990 valver with 138k on the clock

Its got stainless eibach coilovers, which i imagine would fetch £300+

I'd hold onto the wheels, for the inevitable day i return to rado ownership.

stainless exhaust

FK wheel adapters

Audioscape door pods

Everything else is standard.

It would be a shame to break it as ive spent thousands over the years on engine rebuild, starter motor, ignition switch, alternator, cat 1 alarm etc etc, im sure i would shock myself and a few others if i were to dig out the reciepts. But despite the money spent its still got proper knackered paintwork that could only be solved with a full respray, a big dent in the rear arch, the sunroof and spoiler dont work, and the front slam panel is bent. All this leads me to believe i wouldnt get more than £500 if selling, which is why im leaning more towards the breaking side of things.

Some people have recommended i hold onto it until i want to return to it as a full project, but in the mean time it would remain dead money, and i wouldnt want to start with a valver again anyway. Given the prices ive seen some parts go for i reckon it could make a tidy sum once broken.

The only other option ive considered is to remove anything from the car of any value and return it to standard, then to just effectively run it into the ground with very little maintenance until it dies, THEN break it for parts.

anyone have any thoughts? Or been in a similar spot in the past? Or find themselves in one now?

With luck and a little patience you might clear £1.5K to £2K after allowing for expenses BUT its often hard work and it can take a very long time to shift parts - allow 4 to 6 months to get anywhere near that. Some jobs are better done with two people so bear that in mind as well as needing a good array of tools to get bits off. To maximise your chances you need to be very organised and disciplined to keep buyers satisfied with lots of photos and responding quickly to requests. In addition some parts are awkward to package and/or fragile and that can consume a lot of time. Obviously you need to think about where you are going to do the breaking cos it won't be long before the car is an unmoveable lump and a bit of an eyesore.

You will also become very well aqainted with your local Post office too :wink:

Put you off yet?

Well my current garage is empty, would be ideal, being rented tho I'm not 100% on how long I'm going to be here.

Anymore thorts

Lots of looks but not had one offer only 89 valver. Was standard on sebrings with paint that looked 20 years old.

Swapped it in the end with a mate. I would rape the good bits off and back to standard then advertise it in auto-trader as most on here can't see any ads other than the heavy, fuel drinking V's and you would be waiting ages to sell.

ps- have driven both back to back (2.9 ! ) and the 1.8 valver got my money everytime........