Sign in to follow this  
VR6Bella

What were they trying to achieve??!

Ok a sad situation and a bit of a sob story but I'm bemused and I'd appreciate any ideas / feedback on the below story.

On leaving a wonderful day and evening at a friends wedding came back to my 'Rado to find the drivers side handle hanging off the side of the car. This caused comment :bad-words:, esp as 6 weeks ago the car was broken into and I'd only just finished with the repair to glass and paint tidy up. :censored:

Upon getting into the car there were bits of plastic and metal coverings in both foot wells. It was hard to see where they had come from but on further inspection they had been covering the underneath of the steering column. The steering column was no longer fixed and would move not only up and down but also left and right. The brackets that would have been securing the column in place were on the lawn by the car, in the foot well, in fact every where they shouldn't! :confused4: The stranger thing was that the perpetrator had also dismantled the seat belt plug, but not touched any wiring or the ignition barrel!

So has any one else seen damage to 'Rado / Golf similar like this?

Any ideas on what was trying to be achieved?

Any ideas on how to fix a wonderful car that is currently undrivable?

the weirdest piece is prob the seat belt plug???

Do they have a rado with bits that are broken on it??

Sounds mighty weird.

Equally - get it to the cops for dusting if there were metal/smooth plastic bits touched lots - you never know whos prints they have on file and its no loss to you

Steering column obviously trying to get to ignition wiring to hot wire or bypass alarm/imobiliser. No idea on the seat belt, bit odd that. Was it dismantled or broken from force. Maybe used the seatbelt, to force the steering column some how??? Hope its fixed soon

If the steering lock was on they most likely would have wrenched the steering wheel round with a crowbar or something to try and break the lock resulting in them actually pulling the column off most likely! Not sure about the seatbelt plug either :shrug:

Either way sorry to hear about this, fcuking scum :bad-words:

Got the police over to dust it tonight. When it was broken into 6 weeks ago they didn't find anything but did come out straight away. This time its been a couple of days so here is hoping but I'm not holding my breath!

Police are thinking like you guys that it was an attempted theft but done by idiots, strong idiots, but idiots none the less! The bits must have taken alot to dismantle, just amazed that they have probally wreaked the car for no end. :bad-words:

A few pictures of the damage -

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfIMG_0364.jpg[/attachment:30yefrjc] climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfIMG_0360.jpg[/attachment:30yefrjc]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfIMG_0364.jpg[/attachment:30yefrjc] IMG_0373.jpg[/attachment:30yefrjc]

The seat belt looks like it was taken apart rather than smashed but wondering if they were using a crow bar / hammer to do the damage and just caught the seat belt.

I did wonder the same as TimDoc as to whether they were after parts - hence wondering if any one else had seen the same sort of damage.