Sign in to follow this  
Fingers

Door Panels

I have had a look around the site, and tried doing a search, but couldn't find an instruction as to how to remove the door panels.

Where are the screws :?:

My door mech has gone.

:cry:

one under speaker grille cover, two on side of trim facing hinges at the top, two under door handle cover and two on side of trim on door lock edge I think,

handle grip pulls off, with a squeeze, speaker grille needs carefull gentle levering with a flat screwdriver in the two slots in the leading edge to release the lugs from the door pocket plastic surround.

Panel lifts off upwards off of the supporting plastic clips at the bottom and the door glass trim piece at the top

un screw the door lock knob

you need to un-plug the connectors to the window switches and mirror switch as you lift the card off.

door pull leverslides forward and then lifts off door, unhook metal rod

Don't think I've missed much off,

David.

oops, might be a little different for a later trim style car, mainly speaker grill cover bit.

one under speaker grille cover, two on side of trim facing hinges at the top, two under door handle cover and two on side of trim on door lock edge I think,

handle grip pulls off, with a squeeze, speaker grille needs carefull gentle levering with a flat screwdriver in the two slots in the leading edge to release the lugs from the door pocket plastic surround.

Panel lifts off upwards off of the supporting plastic clips at the bottom and the door glass trim piece at the top

un screw the door lock knob

you need to un-plug the connectors to the window switches and mirror switch as you lift the card off.

door pull leverslides forward and then lifts off door, unhook metal rod

Don't think I've missed much off,

David.

When you try and open the passenger door, the handle is very slack and nothing happens. :(

You can still open the door from the inside. But this is a pain in the butt - especially when trying to get my 2 year old daughter into/out of the car!

I was presuming having read the other posts that it was the pin that was bent, and needed to replace the mech/handle with the passat rear ones.

When you try and open the passenger door, the handle is very slack and nothing happens. :(

Exactly the same slack handle problems in my C :roll: was thinking that it might just need the rod from the mech to the handle bending to take up the slack? let me know how you get on and what is causing the problems, would be handy to have some inside info before I start on this... you'd have thought the drivers would go first as it prob gets used more than the passenger one?

Mine's a '94 L, I wonder how many other people have had this problem... :?:

Cheers

Phil

I wonder how many other people have had this problem... :?:

Lots! :roll: :mad:

The cause of this problem is a badly designed striker on the back of the handle's lever. This is the bit of the handle that actually makes contact with the lock mechanism and pushes the lever on it to allow you to open the door.... The problem is that it's not strong enough and so snaps off leaving you with a floppy door handle which no longer opens the door... :?

The only cure is to replace the door handle... A lot of people have started to change over to the Passat rear handles. They have a different design striker pin so you need to change the lock mechanism too, but have the added advantage of not having a key hole in the handle for slightly improved security (only do this Mod if you've got an alarm that activates the central locking though! :lol: )

If you just want to replace the original handle, there's no need to remove the door card... Dunno about replacing with the Passat units, I've not done it... YET... ;)

oops. my bad... :oops:

I was talking about the inside handle on my C passenger door... thats the slack bit, out side is fine but inside you have to pull the slack handle and push the door quite hard to get out - quite funny when my feable female friends are trying to get out... but it is a problem that do I need to fix! so that will be door panel removal for me then... has anyone had this problem with slack inners :?:

Ahh,

I hadn't realised that I need to have an alarmed central locking...... I don't.

Does that mean that I need to fork out for the genuine VW part from a stealership?

Help, why are these fixes never quite as simple as they first appear :cry:

(hidden screws behind spaeker grilles :!: )

I need to change my passenger side door handle too.... but do you not have to take the door panel out so that you can unclip the door handle wiring loom?

What is the loom for anyway? is it related to the Central locking?

Cheers,

Andy

I need to change my passenger side door handle too.... but do you not have to take the door panel out so that you can unclip the door handle wiring loom?

What is the loom for anyway? is it related to the Central locking?

Cheers,

Andy

Nope, you can pull the wiring through the hole behind the door handle and un-clip it there (at least I did it that way on my old H plate valver)

The loom is for the switch which activates the central locking... It's built into the handle so needs a loom to connect it to the car... 8)

Ahhh right.... The wiring seemed a bit tight so i didn't like to pull it - I will have another go then, if it saves me taking the panel off...

cheers

Ahh,

I hadn't realised that I need to have an alarmed central locking...... I don't.

Does that mean that I need to fork out for the genuine VW part from a stealership :?:

Help, why are these fixes never quite as simple as they first appear :cry:

(hidden screws behind spaeker grilles :!: )

If you don't have central looking on an alarm, (and you don't want to loose a key lock) is there any other option that a VW part?

HELP

If you don't have central looking on an alarm, (and you don't want to loose a key lock) is there any other option that a VW part?

HELP

Nope... not that I've ever heard about anyway... :?

You may be able to use a passat front one with a lock mech too, but I dunno if it'll fit OK or not...