Sign in to follow this  
Donjon

Random wires and plugs?

Right my Vr has been running very hot (110+) all the time. I found that the fans dont work on speed 1 or 2 when running with only stage 3 kicking in. i have replaced all the sensors, but still the same. I have now found some wires that have been cut and a plug that doesnt plug into anything! can anyone shed any light on this?

img0577ls.th.jpg

img0578ub.th.jpg

the first one is a plug that isnt used on the uk car so thats nothing, the second pic is hard to tell what it is but if there both the same colour then id say join them together are they red and blue?

wrt your fans, check the definitive cooling thread, where you can bridge various contacts to check the fans. As a start, pull off the connector to the rad and bridge two of the three wires, (red/white and red iirc), the fan and aux pump should come on. Just use any jumper wire for this - thre are only 3 possible combinations anyway. If the fans and pump dont come on there is no power to the fans, so check the wiring for breaks. This circuit is speed 1 and direct from the battery, nothing to do with the control unit.

For speed 2 you have to bridge contacts in the yellow temp sender, these are mentioned in the above-mentioned thread. Try these first before replacing anything further.

I have bridged the switch, i did that before buying the switches! The fan works fine when bridged so the power is there.

the other thing to check is to remove the temp sensor from the rad, connect it up and pour some boiling water over it - take care here with the wiring. The fan should come on after about 20 seconds.

The fact that the other speeds arent working points to a fault in the fan control module. You can open it up and check the three relays for dirty contacts. It is sealed so you need to slice through it. Remove the top cover and have a look at the relays, they might be slightly black, especially two of them (for speeds 1 & 2). Good luck and post up how you get on.

Took the controll module off and gave it a shake, it doesnt rattle so the diodes are ok. I am not to confortable about opening up a sealed unit tbh, i need the car for my short journey to work everyday and i dont want to kill my control box! I really need vagcom i think, may have to book it in at the stealers.

sorry, i didnt mean for it to sound difficult! Its really veery easy to open up and you wont go near any of the delicate parts. I hate electrics/electronics but even i managed to open, clean relays and reseal my control box. Perhaps there's someone nearby who can VAGCOM the car for you?