Sign in to follow this  
timmaaah

isv qustion - wiring question - inlet mani question

Stripping down the old girl ready for getting her back on the road. I've cleaned the isv - it wouldn't move at all when I started - now it's nice and free. Can someone confirm that the flap rests past the fully closed position as per. There is a small opening to the left. The flap then goes across to the left, first fully closing and then fully opening!

Can someone tell me what the extra wire is for? I think it's the lambda connections, but could be wrong. It's underneath the throttle body side, and towards the rear of the engine bay.

I've also stripped off the inlet mani - can someone tell me if there is a problem - there is oil fouling on three of the inlets . My pcv valve is buggered (new one on order) - it's split and doesn't seal properly. I've cleared of loads of gunk from the throttle body and I take it it's just some oil that's found it's way across to the inlets? FYI - the pcv valve is still available on it's own, but I've had to get VW to order one from Germany. Price £27.96 + vat. Ford can get the bit (also out of stock) but it's £34.41 + vat.

Sorry for all the questions, but I really want to get the old girl running properly again! Coilpack's furbar too, plus the ht leads are looking decidedly 2nd hand. Took all the plugs out and they all look fine - no oil fouling at all :D . Money money money :shock: :shock:

Edited by timmaaah

Stripping down the old girl ready for getting her back on the road. I've cleaned the isv - it wouldn't move at all when I started - now it's nice and free. Can someone confirm that the flap rests past the fully closed position as pe There is a small opening to the left. The flap then goes across to the left, first fully closing and then fully opening!

[strike:1vndmrwy]Can someone tell me what the extra wire is for? I think it's the lambda connections, but could be wrong. It's underneath the throttle body side, and towards the rear of the engine bay.[/strike:1vndmrwy]

I've also stripped off the inlet mani - can someone tell me if there is a problem - there is oil fouling on three of the inlets . My pcv valve is buggered (new one on order) - it's split and doesn't seal properly. I've cleared of loads of gunk from the throttle body and I take it it's just some oil that's found it's way across to the inlets? FYI - the pcv valve is still available on it's own, but I've had to get VW to order one from Germany. Price £27.96 + vat. Ford can get the bit (also out of stock) but it's £34.41 + vat.

[strike:1vndmrwy]Sorry for all the questions, but I really want to get the old girl running properly again! Coilpack's furbar too, plus the ht leads are looking decidedly 2nd hand.[/strike:1vndmrwy] Took all the plugs out and they all look fine - no oil fouling at all :D . Money money money :shock: :shock:

Could do with answers to first and last questions please :D

That wire was a bodge for the lambda connector - a wire had come out of the multi pin plug - now fixed (I hope!) New coilpack and HT leads fitted. Plugs weren't oily, but quite sooty, but she was overfuelling before I took her off the road - hopefully with all these leaks/splits sorted, she should run a bit better!

Edited by timmaaah

Stripping down the old girl ready for getting her back on the road. I've cleaned the isv - it wouldn't move at all when I started - now it's nice and free. Can someone confirm that the flap rests past the fully closed position as per this pic. There is a small opening to the left. The flap then goes across to the left, first fully closing and then fully opening!

That's what mine looked like when I cleaned it out. You can test it by applying 12V across the terminals, the valve should flick across fully.