Sign in to follow this  
RedRado

Obsolete exhaust parts - early 1.8 16V

I've got an exhaust dilema on my early Rado - ideally, I want to keep it standard but having ordered a full replacement system the supplier can't provide me with the large rectangular silencer that sits infront of the rear beam as it is obsolete.

I know it is a long shot but has anyone encountered this and tried to fit a mk2 16v GTI silencer in this position as it looks the same with a minor difference in hanger location on the box?

Other than this, the only other options are:

1. Order a longlife part from VW (still listed but dealer will only know if there is stock when I order @ £257 plus VAT).

2. Bite the bullet and go stainless but I want a quiet one.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Regards, Dave.

you could just get the middle box swapped with a straight pipe, shouldnt make a difference in sound? Im doing it soon as my middle box is past it

Thanks, that's an option I hadn't considered - I phoned a place in Chester who said they could make a mild steel link pipe if needed so will bear that in mind.

Steve,

Thanks, I can source the G60 section in the UK but it deletes the first silencer for the 16v. I will have to consider this if nothing else turns up.

Regards, Dave.

I'm sure you can still get pattern 'suitcase' boxes from other exhaust suppliers, my early 16v had one on.

when my suit case and middle went, i had to bite the bullet and go away from standard. a local exhaust garage sorted me out, they found a mongose g60 back box on ebay and advised if i buy that they will fit straight through stainless, the noise was about the same as im not in to the chavy buuuurrrrr and like the near standard look.

This was cheaper than trying to replace the suitcase.

£200 all in.

what you have to remember is that the stainless WILL out survive the car, they gave me a 20 year warrenty the the pipes :D you will never have to worry about it again.

Cheers guys;

David - I have tried several big suppliers and the pattern part is obsolete so unless I can find one in a depot somewhere I think I'm out of luck in the UK.

Steveo - good call on german e bay £150 delivered.

DB - sounds like your option is pretty quiet but I already have 2/3 of the system in mild steel sitting in my garage awaiting this part.

I'd still be interested to hear if anyone has fitted the Mk 2 16v item as I have a brand new one one left over from my last 16v track car - any body tried this?

bummer,

even £150 seems a lot for a single box, I've wondered myself about the 16v golf part versus the corrado one, seeing as the downpipe and front small separate silencer are the same part, I guess the Corrado floorplan is slightly different, if the golf box lines up, why not just get the hangars re-welded?

Straight through pipe replacing Middle suitcase box made it louder on mine than the 2.5" mongoose system i replaced if with, and that wasn't a quiet system!!

Milltek now - sweet 8)

David,

That's the plan, offer up the Golf item and do some hanger re-jigging but to do so I'll need to remove the old system so I was just looking for a view before I start the first cut because once its done I'm committed.

Well, that confirms it - the 16v Mk2 Golf part fits with no welding. Just had to turn the right hand bracket on the car through 90 degrees and the whole thing fits fine. Photos below to show what was done - this is a cheap alternative to £150 (german ebay) or £260 (vw), box was about £70 new from GSF.

result! thanks for posting the details/pics back up after your exploits, wonder why they are different in the first place?

David,

I have no idea why they are different other than additional security but the silencer I removed and the Golf one are exactly the same size with the same input and output configuration. I am really pleased and the car now sound as it should.