Sign in to follow this  
jackvine

VR6 Rattle from Engine Bay at 2400RPM

Hi All

I have recently purchased 1993 vr6 with 146k on it, mechanically car has been very well looked after and has full mainly vw history with just 1 previous owner. But what Im getting is a rattle from what seems to be the engine bay at 2400rpm and it seems to happen every time I reach that RPM , is there any common problems that could cause this ? Is it likely to be the timing chain ?

prob big end shells - does it sound like something's rattling strongly in there? If so, maybe shells.

Not a difficult job, just need good prep for it:

1. put car on ramps

2. drain the oil

3. leave it overnight for any extra drips and drops to accumulate in the oil sump

4. remove gearbox guard (13mm bolts x 2)

5. remove 24 oil sump bolts (6mm allen heads, iirc)

6. remove sump and gasket - gasket can be reused, but if its the original one, might be worth changing it - about £35 from the stealers

7. Remove spark plugs

8. Rotate crank until cylinder 1 piston is right at the bottom

9. undo 10mm bolts from bottom of crank

10. tap out the bearing shell, noting the position of the oil feed slot

11. push the crank up and slightly clear of the crankshaft - you will now see the upper bearing shell

12. carefully tap this out too, noting the position of the oil slot. For both these yo cant really get this wrong as there is a corresponding slot in the crank and the lower shell cover

13. Line up the new shell and carefully press in, making sure the clearance either side is the same (should be around 0.25 or 0.5mm or so - just judge it by eye)

refit shell covers and torque up

14. rotate crank so that the next crank is in place

15. repeat

Deffo wear goggles as there will still be oil dripping and its not plesant if it drops in your eyes!

Its time consuming but really not too hard.

Before you start to worry about the engine have a good look at the exhaust and cat head sheilds - on a ramp if you can

Broken ones tend to make an awful racket as exactly this rpm and the sound resonates so it sounds like the engine itself.

Before you start to worry about the engine have a good look at the exhaust and cat head sheilds - on a ramp if you can

Broken ones tend to make an awful racket as exactly this rpm and the sound resonates so it sounds like the engine itself.

I agree, my valver had a lovely rattle due to the heat shield. Lowness ruins cars i tell u.

Yup - and if it is that, don't re-weld it - just fit a mahoosive jubilee clip round it!

Would that hold it in place though?

Yeah - well it's usually just the spot welds at the front that break, the rest of it is fairly solid hence the awful racket it makes.

Yeah - well it's usually just the spot welds at the front that break, the rest of it is fairly solid hence the awful racket it makes.

LOL useless design. Its proper annoying, mine used to make the most noise on idle and moving off, i guess vr's are more refined though hence rattling at higher revs.

Could be chains/guides/tensioner, Mine are more noticable at different revs n loads