Sign in to follow this  
Kev_VR6

Bonnet Lifters - Big Problems

Just bought the Mk 3 bonnet lifters (Jom ones) from Venom, and followed the instructions in the wiki guide on here but I'm having trouble getting them to work properly.

Mounted the fittings on the wings but then when I lift the hydraulic arm up it pops off the wing fitting way before the point the top mount should go according to the wiki, so I've fitted it at a point just below where it wants to pop off, which is 50mm below where the wiki shows, and it seems too close to the hinge pivot-point to be of much use.

The bonnet will not self raise at all from this point, but when fully open it will stay in that position. Also, because the body of the lifter was hitting the next wing mounting bolt, I've had to fit them the other way round i.e. thinnest end towards the windscreen.

I'm starting to wonder if these are now made thicker than they used to be or supplied with different end fittings, or have venom simply sent me the wrong thing? :shrug: (Would not be the 1st time)

I can provide pics of what it looks like if it would help...

Thanks everyone for your help

Kev

Having the exact same problem with mine today!

When they close though it doesnt seem to close properly because the bonnet release doesnt release :( so you ahve to push the bonnet down at the same time to get it to pop open.

Seriously, thinking these are a waste of time now - such a shame.

Am looking for alternative mounting locations at the moment but cant realy see any that would work :(

Have either of you guys had any luck sorting this issue out?

Have been wanting to do this mod for a while now, but it seems to be a bit hit-and-miss.

Someone I talked to recommended polo lifters, will post up if/when I find a good solution.

I've got mine working now. Not perfect by any means - they don't take over the lift of the bonnet until it's almost fully lifted, as I had to mount them closer to the windscreen end of the bonnet than the instructions suggested (approx 25mm closer) to stop the other end popping off the wing too soon, resulting in reduced leverage.

They're strong enough to support the weight of it though once it's lifted and they do look very smart so I'm happy enough to keep them on as they are.

I'll get a pic up later on to show you what I mean

Good going, may not be perfect, but as long as it works and looks right(modern), result!

Going to have a mess around with mine this w/end at a friends garage, so hopefully can get a couple of test fits and see what works best.