Sign in to follow this  
nirvanna3

Corrado g60 vs golf 3 vr6

Hi. I would like to have a 2,9 vr6 in my g60 corrado. But i can found some cars, where all of the parts i need to swap over. But then i thougt about the golf 3 2,8 vr6 instead. cause they are really easy to find. But what should i use more, then engine, gearbox, driveshafts, wiring, ecu, and maybe some suspession. other things?

And what about the wiring, thinking of, fuses and relays, stuff like that. Is it the same or? should i customize that.?

And what should i look for of problems from the vr6 engine? '

hope some of you guys can help a litlle bit.

then stay those corrado, orginal and alive:)

It might not be the best answer you were looking for but ... if you have to ask about such things, are you capable enough to carry out such major engine swap?

Based on what you've asked, unless your G60 is something special but just needs a new engine, why not just buy a VR6 Corrado to begin with and save a lot of headaches?

But I don't really know what the Corrado situation is like in Denmark - that would be my comments to someone in the UK though.

Best of luck whatever you decide though :salute:

why not just buy a VR6 Corrado to begin with and save a lot of headaches?

The correct answer :D

There are clearly loads of Corrados in the Netherlands - http://www.corrado-database.nl/

The biggest contributing country by far :D Mind you, how far are the Nether regions from Denmark? My geography is appalling!

If I was faced with no other option and really loved my G60, I would get an OBD2 2.8 engine out of a 1996-1998 Golf VR6. Not worth wasting your time with a clunky old beaten up 2.9.

But that doesn't solve the other G60 / VR6 differences, such as body panels, running gear, interior etc etc....

first of all. I am a mechanic. But my major problem is the wiring, if its the same or not. the more srewing part is easy. i kind of already have worked it out. i would really most have 2,9vr6 in it. but i am a little bit confused. Right now, i have all electric gadgets in my car, and i will lose the a/c if i swap enginges. but i am also considering, building another charger on the g60 in stead. and make a frontmount intercooler. but the a/c kondenser and radioter fills up the space there. so i dont know where to put for max effect.

netherlands is a really good drive away, but nothing that could be done in a day. buying a new corrado, with the vr6 engine, could be done, but not worth the money. sure some of them are cheap, but mostly young guys with a heavy foot, had driven them, and riced them out.

They all use the same ce2 fuseboard so the vr6 engine loom will plug straight in were your g60 is. Nice and easy, make sure your get the all the imobiliser bits from around the coloum because some earlier obd1s had them, all obd2 engines had them, u need engine, gearbox, subframe, corrado vr radiator and fans, and corrado top rad hose, exaust manifold, ecu loom at the very least, You can use your running gear from your wishbones and driveshafts outwards, your front cross member is fine and will drop the height of the engine that will help you with bonnet clearance but u will need an uprated mount, I have a solid mk2vr6 mount but it drops the front of mine more than I like it to, you can also use full mk3 vr6 running gear which will give you a wider track and alittle more caster which helps reduce the feel of the engine weight, but your then forced to run five stud hubs which means new wheels.

my friend is doin the same swap your talkin about in the next few weeks and were expecting a need to trim alittle off the rear engine mount so he can continue to use the earlier bonnet that u have. This is common practice when doin the same swap in to a mk2 golf,

only thing I can't comment on for sure in your case is fueling, 16pump setups are fine but I have no knowledge of g60 pumps. Mk3 pumps are no use to you, probly beat to ge a corrado vr6 pump.

mk2vr6.com

use that website, pretty much exact same swap, feel free to pm me if your in need of any info.

erny. now thats what i call helping:) yeah i was thinking that i should be the same. i might gonna do it, if i get that vr6 engine. what about gear ratio, my g60 is kind of low speed box, isn´t the vr6 a bit higher gearbox?

I forgot to mention your ginna want the vr relay aswel 108 I think. Can't remember it's been awhile. know very little about gearboxes to be honest pal, alot of that stuff is over my head, I can do simple mechanics, I'm just learning as I go, I'm a plasterer by trade. the vrs gears are realy long which I actually like, but I've not drove a vr with shorter gears to be able to realy comment, ied realy like to tho, I keep seeing mentions of people putting the g60 final drive in there boxes, but realy cannot comment on that at all, the longer gears have chilled me out behind the wheel, but as the acceleration is so smooth I find myself speeding before i know it

okay. well i just found a cheap 2,9 vr6 from a 1994 corrado. where theres has been a fire in the cabin. so all of the interior is trown out. and there is all i need to swap engines. only thing that sucks, is the boardcomputer and cabin wirings is melted. so i need to have a new wiring. but what if i took the 1994 vr6 wiring to the engine, and the board computer isn´t that the same? cause thats my only problem i see there.

Asking as the engine isn't damaged from the fire it will be fine, and will definatly plug straight into your fuseboard, make sure u get the correct relay in there, as you have a donor corrado the swap should go swimmingly, not sure if g60 clocks are like valver clocks if so your tacho will not read correctly, if your any good with wiring you can connect up to two points in the coilpack to get a correct Reading, my freind did this for me.

dont think it is. cause the picture shows, that i is melted just at the fuse box. so i should just a new engine wiring and it will fit hust fine into my g60 fusebox.?

What do you mean about valver clocks? And tacho? I am not badass to wiring. but a diagram over it, helps alot. But the vr6 is with digital speedomter. where the g60 is with a cable..

Valver as in 16valve engine, tacho as in rev counter, you can put your speedo cable in the vr6 box. Are you askin if you can use a wiring loom from and ecu from another vr6? Yes with no modifcation if it is an obd1 loom with no distibutor. Plug straight in fine, with the correct relay. Everything you want to know is readily available online, the link I put up on my first post is a real good source of info.

aha. well the corrado vr6 i was looking at, is a 1994 the new model. and the golf mr3 vr6 i mean is a 93, its the old engine. but i have kinder dropped the plans, cause i am in money need. just got fired, so i have to save money some where.