Sign in to follow this  
skinnyman9000

Crap oil = high temps?

A few weeks back my oil needed topping up, and the only thing around was some cheapo fully synthetic that my dad uses in his Honda. This past week ive been getting some very high temps during normal driving, im seeing 112-118, which obviously is too hight, it normally hovers around the 106 mark. The water temps have been normal, 90-100ish, and the fan is working as it should.

question is, is the crappy oil top up likely to be causing the high temps, and therefore a flush and refill with some syntac silver should solve the problem, or should i be delving further into the issue?

I'm only guessing here, but it seems like it could be the source of the higher temperatures... I'm thinking along the lines of crap oil is a worse lubricant, therefore more friction, leading to higher temps. Also I guess it could have a lower heat capacity as well.

I user Silkolene PRO S 10W-50 in mine and rarely see temps over 110 except in very hot weather, with standard oil cooler.

stop me if im wrong but 106 as a running temp on a valver seems a bit high to me?!

i did 260 miles in my valver last weekend and got stuck in some pretty grotty traffic on the m25.. never saw above 106 in traffic and ran at 96-98 at a constant 85mph..

around town it never gets above 98. mind you i dont drive it a lot at all...

i use fuchs titan xtr 10w40 in mine, basically any good quality 10w40 is what you want to be using in a valver..

just my 2p's worth of course

Mine has always ran in the low 100's, ever since I got it 3yrs ago.

I've been having a fiddle this morning trying to solve a misfire issue and I've got a ht lead that has been corroded by coolant, indicating an internal engine leak, so tbh I'm about ready to push the thing off a cliff anyway