Sign in to follow this  
QUEEN V

What comes 1st, the body or the engine??

Hi Guys, :wave:

just a quick little question about where to start on my 1.8 16v.

ok, I want an all over paint job done on her & have the little rust she has, lumps n bumps & engine bay spayed too...

But i also want to put a new reconditioned engine in her (not sure which, maybe the 1.8 0r 1.9 16v or if anyone has an opinion on anything else you could recommend).

Now She runs well but is a little chuggy & moody sometimes in the lower gears & i do need to change the oil!

The interior is fine for the mo that can wait....

Is their any point doing the engine 1st as it will have to be taken out again for the spray.

Help which do i do 1st? :shrug:

If ur keeping the same engine in and having the spray 1st, then that engines gonna have to come out twice anyways isn't it

If u change the engine 1st and spraying later, then ur still gonna be taking engines out twice

If u think the engine really does need replacing, then id get that done 1st personally. Or at least do the oil change lol while u keep it in there :lol:

All depends on how far yo uare planning to go.

If you are spending a lot and planning on smoothing the bay and fully respraying that then you might as well get it al done at the same time and prepare an engine while the bodywork is being done.

If you are just having external bodywork done then it doesn't really matter when you do the engine, other than the likelyhood of damaging new paint if you work on the mechanicals after the bodywork is done.

I'd just get a 2L bottom end, 1.9 is too costly in comparison, and the 2.0 will give more torque, it's also a better stronger block with a bigger water jacket than the 1.8 that you would use as a base for a 1.9.

The question you got to ask yourself is, whats more important. Bodywork, as sad as it sometimes makes me as i look at my car, will always come second to engine and running gear in my book. If you get a respray your car will look nice, but if your engine goes pop you might as well have bought an expensive painting. Not that im saying your engine will go pop, just that in preference i'd always prefer to get in a car that starts first time and runs like a dream and have a few scratches.

Not sure what you mean by a 1.9, if you mean boring out a 1.8 to 1.9 or buying a 2litre. But if i was in the same position I would buy a 2 litre abf or 9a and whilst the engine is out for respray it would be an ideal time to replace it. Maybe just wait a little longer and save some more pennies and do both

I think this is a good question and one that I ask myself everyday, I really can't decide myself.

At the moment I'm doing the interior, just getting it all stock, clean and tidy with a good stereo. Whilst I do that I'm keeping the engine "going" by looking after it without going OTT on making it look nice or go faster and so on. Once the interior is done I'm just going to enjoy it until something serious happens which will make the decision for me. Either the chassis will fail an MOT or the engine will die.

There are two ways of looking at this question... The unique parts on a Corrado are the body and the interior. So if looking to buy a car then I'd say you need to find one which is good in these areas. The engine is also unique but you could get a conversion in the future, finance permitting.

However, if your engine dies then the car won't go anwhere. So if you already have the car then I'd say get the engine and running gear fixed first.

However -

Will it pass its next MOT on the bodywork ?

If not, then this has to come first, evens if its a temporary fix.

If you need new panels at all - with stock becoming harder to obtain - it could be wise to purchase those sooner than later too.

I personally would be mortified if any damage was done to my car's bodywork whilst any engine or other parts were being replaced or upgraded - and - expect the garage to pay for the costs of repair etc. Alternatively, if completing the work myself - I would be protecting my car from possible damage.

Just my thoughts ............

My view is always mechanics before cosmetics and the same applies to the cycle trade im in, some folk spend money on things that are nice to have like new bottle cages and handlebar tape etc when their transmission is utterly knackerd so much so that it could spit them onto the tarmac face dowm anytime :eek:

However i always feel that if there is corrosion present then it needs attention pronto as once it sets in your car is buggered too where as the engine and everything else is bolted on and can be replaced at a later date, no point spending loads on new bits if the cars rotting away by the day!

But it's finding the fine line between the 2.

I now have 3 corrado's and i'm finding it extremely difficult to find where the priority lies as there is something needing doing to all of them :pale: :lol:

Good luck :wink:

However i always feel that if there is corrosion present then it needs attention pronto as once it sets in your car is buggered too where as the engine and everything else is bolted on and can be replaced at a later date, no point spending loads on new bits if the cars rotting away by the day!

You're not the first person who has mentioned this.

My car needs a new exhaust and rust in the passenger side arch sorted, I think my money will go towards rust treatment first.

If (like me) you can't afford to spend much on the 'rusty bits' on the body, is it ok to get rid of the rust (especially if you can just sand it out) then prime/spray/lacquer it, to stop it getting worse. Even tho it'll be a shit job, surely it's better than rust? Until you can afford to have it professionally seen to.

If (like me) you can't afford to spend much on the 'rusty bits' on the body, is it ok to get rid of the rust (especially if you can just sand it out) then prime/spray/lacquer it, to stop it getting worse. Even tho it'll be a **** job, surely it's better than rust? Until you can afford to have it professionally seen to.

I'd say definately mate, better to get cracking with it as best you can then some form of rust eater like Jenolite :salute: then primer and even a couple of coats of body colour & laquer (even if its badly done) to keep it sealed is in my oppinion far better than having bare rusty metal exposed to the elements.

Thanks every one, thats some great advice :notworthy:

I'll save me pennies & get the engine sorted first, whilst im waiting for that i will sort out the rusty bits & on my day off sort out the oil :D

Thanks again guys & girls x