Sign in to follow this  
Stafford16v

Noise when doors lock

Hi

I noticed last night when I locked my car that there is a whirring noise which is quite loud. It seems to be coming from the drivers side rear quarter. I tried locking and unlocking the car a few times and it eventually stopped a minute or so later.

I also noticed that the drivers door didn't lock so I used the key (it has an autowatch alarm that locks the car).

One other thing I should say is that the door handle has been replaced the other day.

Any advice would be great please.

It's the central locking pump - if it's droning on excessively you've probably got a bit of a leak. Try pealing back the drivers side wheel arch carpet in the boot to expose the pump and check all the pipes are properly on their connectors. If that doesn't do it it's a case of following the pipes and checking each connection until you find the culprit I'm afraid. With mine, I found replacing the pump itself sorted everything out in one foul swoop... Mine had packed up completely though.

Mark

Will look at the pump then thanks. At first I thought it was the petrol cap lock, but then I realised thats not on the central locking!

I'd bloody hope my mate has connected the central locking wire up as he used to work at VW! :-D

Just to clarify a couple of things....

The alarm - does it operate the central locking remotely using a fob?

You said the drivers door didn't lock - when you locked it manually with the key did the central locking pump make its usual noise or did nothing happen at all? Will the rest of the locks disengage when the drivers door is unlocked or is it a case of the drivers door does nothing?

Tom

Will look at the pump then thanks. At first I thought it was the petrol cap lock, but then I realised thats not on the central locking!

really? it should be, the hinged cover/flap has a tab on the top corner that the CL locks it down with.

Actually it seems to be locking fine now. The knob came off in my hand! LOL

So I'm thinking it was resistance on the knob which meant that it wouldn't lock and hence the locking pump was making a noise. I cant hear it now. Problem solved for now. Will have to wait until I can be arsed to get the door trim off and have a look.

Thanks for your replies.