Sign in to follow this  
4eyes2wheels

Oil be damned

At risk of being thought a muppet (too late!) but because I don't know and am not too old to learn, why does my wife's car need 5W/40 Fully Synthetic oil and my Corrado need something else (10W/50 perhaps?)? Is it simply the age difference?

You can use 5W/40 Fully Synthetic in the VR as well. When the Corrado was made '88-'95, fully synthetic oil was not widely available in the market as it is today. So VW just recommended the 10W/40W (and printed this on the manual). The 5W/40 will be a lighter oil which will allow the engine to rev easier & the new developments with synthetic oils means that it will still stick & lubricate all the engine internals as it should.

Cool - I've sent the wife off to buy five litres of oil for HER car and now I can also use it in MINE - result!

As long as you don't mix different oil types :nono:

i would stay with the 10s rather than the 5s though, especially on an older potentially more worn engine

Denied!

Anyway she was only able to buy two litres and her car drank 75 cl straight away so I'll buy my own so I'm not mixing oils.

Cheers

Just thinking, there's an oil expert on the forum. I'm nearly sure he started a specific thread for oil questions, might have a search for that :)

I was going to buy 5 litres of each from the Opie Oil man - the discounts were good - then her oil light refused to go out and she needs the car everyday so off to Halfords it was.

you can mix the oils grades its just not a good idea, but wont cause any dmage as such. Its just the types eg semi synth, fully synth or mineral that you shouldnt mix.