Sign in to follow this  
aki

need a daily driver

hi guys well my wife has a new job so it means we cant share transport any more and lets face it the vr6 is going to cost me a fortune in fuel with a round trip of 50miles a day so im looking for something a little more econo0mical but still "stylish" thats a vw or audi and im thinking mk3 cabrio or and audi 80 cabrio but the audi is out as my little 18mth old boy might suffer abit in a rollover as the audi only has the winscreen pillars for safety whereas the golf has an ugly roll hoop making that little bit safer so whats the economy like on these golf things basically? im thinking smallest motor 1.8 90bhp unless anybody else can think of something similar for around 500 quid?

plan is to put the old corrado on a classic car policy garaged etc as cheap as chips and use the cabbie every day i aint sellin the corrado ever! only car i ever really wanted to own!!!

cheers for the help

andy

On a mk3 it is worth spending a little extra and getting a nice avantguarde with the electrics an creature comforts or maybe look at a mk1 clipper convertible - although if you want to carry a baby around + all the gubbins that go with a baby will a golf cabrio boot be big enough?

dave

On the mk3 the 1.8 is not a good engine. It was replace with the much better 1.6. Both the 1.6 and 2.0 are more economical and powerful so I would suggest looking for one of these and a lot of 1.8s have no equipment. The 1.8 is cheaper, but there is a reason for it. If you can stretch to an Avantgarde model, I don't think you would regret it over the 1.8.

I looked at one of these (late 2.0 black colourconcept), but did not like how heavy & wobbily they are, so bought a GTI 16v tintop instead.