Sign in to follow this  
harryc

Oil cooler plumbing and location.

Hey everyone, just bought a 16 row mocal cooler from another member but need a fitting kit. Where abouts have people mounted their's, what with, and with what length of piping?

Seen some good looking braided lines on ebay but they come in a variety of lengths;

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=moca ... m270.l1313

Planning on picking up a thermostatic sandwich plate as well.

I think it's worth including a pic and the dimensions since it's not the usual size of cooler that people fit to a VR from those that I've seen.

Cheers, as per tandino's for sale thread;

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y76/ta ... 010258.jpg

Harry, run it in conjunction with the OEM heat exchanger so that they supplement each other, i think you can either mount it in the wheelarch or otherwise mount it up in front of the radiator, you will need approx 1.5m of hose for each line at a guess.

Its also a good idea to remove the stock heat exchanger and give it a good clean out with a pressure washer, the amount if crud that builds up inside is unreal, also it might be a good idea to buy the two little hoses from VW that feed the heat exchanger as the will be soft with age and heat.

I can only speak from a G60 owners point of view, but a thermostatic plate is an essential item for these. Otherwise the oil will take ages to get warm enough to be the right viscosity, especially with a 16 row cooler. Not sure what the alloy cap is they are talking about. As for mounting points, mines down in front of the passenger wheel arch, with holes drilled in the wheel arch line to prevent stagnant air build up. Alot of VR owners mount theirs in front of the rad though.

/\ yep as above get the thermo plate for sure, make sure you mount it the correct way round too - don't ask me which way that is because i've forgotten.

Just to add to this, i def recommend braided hoses rather than rubber.

The rubber on my lower hose had been rubbing on a radiator cowl unseen and eventually rubber a hole in it, (just at the border with Spain!)

Rather unpleasant seeing blue smoke out the back and oil pour out the engine 1700miles from home! Fortunately stopped immediately and after being taken to a garage, I was able to strip the front end and get in and fix :)

So, braided hoses will help prevent this and also double check the hose routing to make sure nothing is rubbing :)

Best mod tothe car tho, it's never been above 100C

I'm running a 16 row Mocal, mounted infront of the rad, with most of it behind the bumper level. Connected with braided hoses and a normal non thermostatic sandwich plate with the old heat exchanger removed. Gets up to temp nice and quickly as the airflow is slightly reduced by it being behind the bumper, but at higher speeds keeps the temp around 98-100. Only ever gets up to 106 around town on a hot day. Hand to cut a hole in the rad mount to get the pipes through tho.

T

here is where i installed my 16 row mocal oil cooler, plenty of incoming air to cool that bad boy down when I push it to the limits. I'm not a fan of installing items that need air flow behind the bumper, I still have the big intercooler i want to install but it looks like I will need to cut half of the rebar to make it fit and function.

232323232%7Ffp537%3B6%3Enu%3D53%3C3%3E733%3E254%3EWSNRCG%3D32%3B%3A39%3C3%3A%3B345nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp5383%3A%3Enu%3D53%3C3%3E733%3E254%3EWSNRCG%3D32%3B%3A39%3C3%3B2345nu0mrj

Thanks for the comments, think im going to go with the behind the grill option to give it some good flow. The oil cooler seems alot smaller compared to what a lot of you guys are running. Will a 115mm cooler provide sufficient cooling? (Saw 116 degrees the other day sitting on the motorway with my new oil). I spose as its not a tracked car this should be fine with decent air flow, what do you guys think?