Sign in to follow this  
Supercharged

VW builds 100,000th New Scirocco

Interesting to see the forum comments from the next generation of VW owners :eek:

97,521 Corrados were manufactured, the last is in the Karmann Collection, the 2nd last in the Wolfsburg Museum, both green VR6's. Just under 9000 were imported into the UK.

You will love the Mk3 Scirocco ...... me :D Last years best decision to replace the daily runner 18 year old Mk2 Scirocco.

100,000 a very good acheivement considering its was a doubt with VW and also a niche market. Exports UK & Europe-wide including Russia; Turkey, Lebenon, Egypt, Dubai, Singapore, Japan and New Zealand but not to the USA or to Australia (no plans either due to type approval). 175 a day out of the factory.

97,521 Corrados were manufactured, the last is in the Karmann Collection, the 2nd last in the Wolfsburg Museum, both green VR6's...

That green VR6 at the Wolfburg museum surprised me as it is nowhere near 'mint' condition

97,521 Corrados were manufactured, the last is in the Karmann Collection, the 2nd last in the Wolfsburg Museum, both green VR6's...

That green VR6 at the Wolfburg museum surprised me as it is nowhere near 'mint' condition

That last Storm at Wolfsburg is a disgrace, even back in 1999 with flat tyres. I think Top Gear should hang their heads in shame for sending it there in 1996. It should have gone to Karmann, its true home. Wolfsburg, just shows how much T.G. knew about the Corrado at the time.

Its kept as part of the Karmann Collection next to the factory. Technically a Karmann Corrado as it was never delivered to VW.

Its kept as part of the Karmann Collection next to the factory. Technically a Karmann Corrado as it was never delivered to VW.

How does that work? I know Karmann built em but everything was designed and branded as VWs right? Or were they badged up later? :?

Any pics of the ones at Wolfsburg and Osnabruch?

Before Wilhelm Karmann died on 25th october 1998, he used to take a car off his production lines to a spec. he wanted and put it into his collection. So the collection not only consists of prototype proposals, specials but also production cars.

I say "technically" because it was never bought by VW. It's a highly spec'd LHD Corrado VR6.

All Corrados and other VW's left the Karmann factory with VW badges fitted. There's no mystery there. The last Corrado is badged as a VW but you will never find it in the VW records. That honuor goes to the VR6 Storm in Wolfsburg as VW UK at Milton Keynes asked for it to be the last Corrado VW got from the production line, hence why its chassis number is miles away from the other 499 Storms made between February - Mid May 1995. The last Corrados being built in 2nd week of June 1995.

The last Corrado VR6 Storm delivered to VW and then VW (UK) in the Wolfsburg Museum (2nd last produced).

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdflast_corrado-front.jpg[/attachment:1cb6qr5h]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdflast_corrado-rear.jpg[/attachment:1cb6qr5h]

The last Corrado to be produced on the Karmann production line now in the Karmann Collection at Osnabrück.

Last Corrado - VR6.jpg[/attachment:1cb6qr5h]

I still haven't made up my mind about the new Scirocco. In some angles it looks nice, but in others it looks awkward.

I certainly don't see myself ever owning one.

The problem really is that which I feel about any new car. Do I like a car like the Scirocco enough that I want to spend £20k on it... or would I rather have my £3,500 Corrado and steadily sink £16,500 into it over the same period of time?

It just doesn't feel like that much of a better car to me. There's nothing else I'd want to own other than the Corrado, unless I can push into "proper" car territory now to be honest - BMW M3 / M5 or a Porsche of some kind.

The problem really is that which I feel about any new car. Do I like a car like the Scirocco enough that I want to spend £20k on it... or would I rather have my £3,500 Corrado and steadily sink £16,500 into it over the same period of time?

It just doesn't feel like that much of a better car to me. There's nothing else I'd want to own other than the Corrado, unless I can push into "proper" car territory now to be honest - BMW M3 / M5 or a Porsche of some kind.

This is pretty much how I feel about it. I recently test drove a mk5 R32 and while there is no doubt it is a lovely car, it wasn't lovely enough for the increase in price over my 4mo. So I decided to stick to the plan of keeping the 4mo and getting a Corrado too... for overall less money.

There's nothing else I'd want to own other than the Corrado, unless I can push into "proper" car territory now to be honest -

BMW M3 - :2gunfire:

M5 - :notworthy:

Porsche of some kind - :clap:

^

There's nothing else I'd want to own other than the Corrado, unless I can push into "proper" car territory now to be honest - BMW M3 / M5 or a Porsche of some kind.

Or an Aston Martin DB9 :)

I meant second hand M3 / M5's that came into the same sort of budget as a new Scirocco - same with a Porsche. Not sure there are many modern Astons available in that price range :)

Exactly how I feel! I'd rather run two cars than sink £20k on Scirocco / other new cars.

Corrado + Elise

Corrado + Boxster S

Corrado + E30 M3

Corrado + 190E 2.5-16

Corrado + 968 S

Corrado + Z3MC

Corrado + Scooby P1 / GB270 / Spec C

Corrado + RS2 Avant / E39 M5

You get the idea! :D All bases covered from the above list.

Scirocco just looks like a slightly modified plasticy Mazda 2/3 or whatever to me

corradodm07.jpg